• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DP Kentucky Range day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think grease is still in the barrel and you have access to some disk brake cleaner, throttle body cleaner, acetone, MEK or lacquer thinner pour some down the barrel and scrub the bore with a soaked cleaning patch.
Make sure some of the fluid passes thru the flame channel that connects the nipple or flintlock vent with the bore.

Do this outside, far away from any source of sparks or flames and don't breath any more of these solvents than you have to.

Both of my Pedersolis had occasional misfires until I slightly enlarged the holes in the nipples with a small drill on a Dremel tool. Now I never have misfires and can use any grade powder. I was told later that Pedersoli nipples have very small openings. I believe the Kentucky model is not equipped with the notorious patent breech. Only the Hawken has that wonderful device. I am very happy with both of my rifles now.

I am with Colorado Clyde on this GET a Hot Shot nipple or if you can find them Knight Red Hot nipples, Pyrodex and Triple 7 have a higher ignition point. That is why the hotter nipples were developed to put more spark into the firing chamber, because of issues of igniting the Black Powder substitutes. Real Black Powder has a much lower ignition point and can get away with not as much spark. If you are swabbing between shots you only want your patch damp not wet. I use a mister bottle to control how much moisture I am putting on the swabbing patch and then follow with a dry patch. I found out the hard way about having a swabbing patch to wet and trying to get the powder to go off :cursing: . Instead of going BANG it would go FAAAAWOOOOM :shocked2: . Had that issue a couple of times. That is why I went to using the mister bottle. Also don't use a patch that is to tight when swabbing between shots. Zonie help me with that this past fall when I was having issues. The patch I was using at that time was tighter than I had normally been using and creating a crude ring by pushing fouling into the breech of the gun, which would also hamper ignition in your case. If I were you (and I'm not), I would get a Hot Nipple in what ever threading your gun call for. DANNY

Back