• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double with chambers 16 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffffg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
the first gun i built, my chambers 16 gauge downed four ducks with four shots this afternoon.. its a mark silver 42 inch swamped getz cylinder bore barrel, high grade walnut stock, white lighning touch hole, virginia lock. she preformed flawlessly with a number 7 knapped flint.. no hessitation at 4 below zero aprox,, full pan of 4f.... will be downloading photo hopefully tonight or tomorow of gun and birds.. stock is built up with tape and cardboard to make comb correct height, rear sight is taped on for ball, a leather shoestring sling adorn this "huntin gun" finished with boiled linseed oil.. .. load was 90 grains 3f....nitro card.... large glob of tc lube.... one half inch fiber wad... 115 grain set on measure of number 4 bismuth....overshot card... pack the powder and wads not the shot.. i keep the lube in my shirt pocket or it will be too hard to use... this gun weighs 8 1/2 pounds..no nosecap so i can leave jag on and flush with muzzel.. in cold weather ducks like to hang out in the spring creeks that are not frozen.. i came up to a good spot, blind ( not knowing what was there) and at im guessing about 35 yards or little further a small flock of mallards got up and gave me a cross shot. ..the cold air must make them aerodynamically dissadvantaged becouse they seemed to be moving slow.. i lead a greenhead about one foot and saw two birds hit and tumble.. could only find one, and with lots of looking found the other one... i was starting to think i was seeing double.. my first double with flintlock!! missed the next shot at another spot,... . went to a third area,, lots of steam on the creek, and thier eyes must fog up or something becouse this is when i can see them first without them taking off unless im using binoculars from a block or two away or more and just barely peeking into thier view when its clear out..... the snow was crunchy and as the season progresses and this sometimes will tip them off if i keep at them... i saw a single in the spring creek, marked his possition with a crooked fence post, and went down beside him, and came up on the bank, then dropped the third one, third shot, another green head(male mallard).. further down that same creek i saw a big bunch and did the same thing, but this area is hard to figure where they are exactly at becouse the banks look the same when you get to where you think they are... i had let the lube slip by my pocket and the cap can filled with tc lubed went down into my waders.. i decided not to use dry fiber wad and oiled it with gun oil.. . i move up on the water very slowly looking for ripples in the water next to the other bamk, that can give them away on a calm day without spooking them.. i hit it just right and about 50 or more got up, i picked what i thought was a green head and nailed it shooting strait at it. this was a mistake and will usually result in a miss, but not on this day.. it was a hen now flopping on the bank on the other side of the creek.. so i shot 4 birds, with four shots with flint smoothbore.. the last time i had that good of shooting was in 1998 with my mortimer 12 gauge full jug choke at 20 below. but that was 3 birds, and i dont know how many shots it took back then. but it was cold.. holding measure, barrel and etc at 20 below with bare hands is pretty tough.. . that photo used to be in the rouge gallery at mlml until those photos were deleted.. it would be nice to have a photo section here so we can see who we are talking to.. :grin: ffffg

thanks Rebel, heres those pictures i promised..[url] http://www.geocities.com/funkyjs/ffffg.html[/url] .. id like to add that the 903fg, and 115gr measure equivelent 4 bismuth is used only in very cold temperatures.. if this load is used in 80 degree temp it could damage a weapon or worse.. this is not a beginers load. you must check your depth of load to be sure your not double loaded, and pull any thing that is not right. this load would probably be aproximately to 75-80 gr 3f and 95grains in powder measure lead shot in summer temps.. dave

Last edited by a moderator:
id like to add that many many times out i get nothing.. many times not even a shot.. as for hitting birds, if you shoot shotgun you know what i mean when i say some days your on, and some days your not.. the birds were there, they let me get close becouse of the weather, i knew the area, i was shooting on, and the load was right for that temperature... a once in a lifetime experience.. thanks for your thoughts... dave..

:thumbsup: Awesome story thanks
However were are the pics of her bud... sounds great and would love to see her... my best regards Loyalistdawg

Back