• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Doe Plains Rifle Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McBride

54 Cal.
Reaction score
So Ol' Pop called me from up the back hill this morning at 7:30 to have me bring the SxS up because he'd taken two big doe. Darn near the daily bag. He'd shot the first one at 45 yards along the fenceline right as her front legs were landing after jumping the fence. Both lungs and the heart with the old c1960's .45 cal Plains Rifle w/70g 2f. While waiting before going down to track her a group of 4 does came into the little clearing from the opposite side and to within 20 yards of the stand. There Pop sat with an empty Muzzleloader and a .22 pistol in his pocket. After about 15 mins the Does meandered back into the woods at which time Pop hastily reloaded. 5 mins later the biggest of the Does made another pass in front of him and he popped his second Doe of the morning. Both shots went through and through. The heartshot Doe ran 50 yards which is a record for a double lung and heart on the farm. She was a tough ol gal. The other Doe took it right in the clockwork as well, both lungs but missed her heart. She made it 20 yards. As is usual for us, I field dress them all, Pop butchers his and I do mine. Ol' Baxter was excited he got a bonus heart. He made quick work of them as usual.....

So it was nice drinking coffee and watching the old man do a brace of Whitetail hanging from the tractor bucket on a nice brisk Tennessee morning.....

IMG_0585.JPG

You'd best tell your old man to pace himself and leave some for seed Bob!!!

Great post and wonderful photo of a happy hunter with a brace of fine-eating doe.

Will you tell us more about the rifle?

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.

You'd best tell your old man to pace himself and leave some for seed Bob!!!

Great post and wonderful photo of a happy hunter with a brace of fine-eating doe.

Will you tell us more about the rifle?

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.

Thanks SkyChief. I picked it up at an auction a few years back. It was made by a black feller from Memphis back in the mid sixties according to a member on ALR who remembered him and his very well made guns from the shows back in those days. Best inletting you ever saw. Douglas barrel and a really cool old well built bronze plate percussion lock. Poured pewter nose cap. I gave it to Pop on his birthday a few years ago. He loves it. He gave his old TC Hawken to my nephew. Good stuff.

It's a sharp rifle that apparently shoots straight. Very straight. Tell your Pop congratulations please!

I will. It shoots very straight but Pop is one of those guys who seem to make a gun shoot better than it’s able. He’s a country boy who grew up with a gun in his hand and was a career Airborne Infantry guy. He’s one of those guys who’s madingly magic with a long gun. One of those who shoots better in the woods than on the range.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back