• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

done something stupid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowkill

45 Cal.
Reaction score
When i cut my blank for my stock i cut it all the way to the breach plug and did not sweep a curve into it..see picture? %#& stupid!!! working on gluing me a piece to it on both sides maybe it wont look too bad. Plan on a dark stock anyway, its walnut on a 36 cal swamped barrel.

It only matters on the sideplate side, and if you do glue in a bit of wood to smooth it back out, if you "age" it well enough, you'll never know it was there. :wink:

Actually, on second look, given that your barrel appears to be sunk in the stock well past halfway deep, when you cut down the top of the fore end to half of the barrel (or less), you'll be able to round that little corner back out just fine. :wink:

Hi Bowkill,
Many original rifles and fowlers have a squared step rather than a radius. When you shape the lock area and cut down the wood on the sides of the barrel, I think you will be fine without adding a piece of wood. You might wait until you have rounded the stock by the barrel tang before deciding to add wood. Keep in mind that the top of the stock behind the barrel should be shaped such that it at least comes close to meeting the profile of the oblique flats on the barrel. If you envision that, you can see that your step will be very small and easily shaped.

dave

I bet you can hide the repair.

I knocked this gun off the bench with the barrel in but not pinned. The tang broke a dime sized chunk off the area next to the tang screw on left side and cracked the right side. You can see a little of what was a monster crack on the right side and none of the replaced wood on the left side which was retrieved for the most part from my shop floor. Lots of sawdust and superglue is in the tang inlet now to fill the area where the splinters were missing that I never found.

Thanks guys, you have helped a bunch. Knew it would end up being a small piece of wood that I would need to get in the corner.

Hi,
I added some photos showing guns with fairly abrupt steps at the breech. In the second you can see that when the top of the stock behind the breech is shaped to almost conform to the barrel flats, the step gets very small. The first photo shows a gun with a very small but almost square step.

dave
Star%20of%20Bethlehem%205_zpswgtgmqum.jpg

ReadingGun5_zps6addfd89.jpg

ReadingGun4_zpsf14f530e.jpg

I would leave it as is, and make the sideplate to fit. If you haven't yet installed the lock bolts, you can put a slight angle on the back one to help out the sideplate design.

Back