• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Doh!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwfeatherston

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Started cutting down the front sight on my pedersoli today-it's shooting about 14 inches low at 25 metres.

First shot- whosh-bang!
Second shot whosh-bang!

That ain't right- sounds like a flinter!

Left the cleaning screw out of the drum when I flushed the oil out of the bore! :redface:

Shame I had to stop- the two shots were touching!

Well, ths good news is you or nobody else were hurt. The bad news is if you took much off that front sight you may be shooting high now as you were loosing a lot of pressure out that hole.

It seems that all of the Pedersoli rifles shoot that low, Mine did and I had to file off a lot of that front blade to make it hit the bull. I took about half off the front blade and now it shoots awesome.

It should be OK, I didn't take too much off (it's hard to put back on!) :grin:

It was 8 inches low, with the screw out, so i will try it with the screw back in before getting the file out again.

I had to take a heap of my 1858, too- still, better that way than shooting too high!

I think that Pedersoli ships it's fixed iron sighted guns with a low POI on purpose. A hunter would regularly use 80 - 100 grain charges in a .54, whereas a target shooter can get on well with 50 - 60. You can file 'em down but you can't file 'em UP. :grin:

I use 65gr fffg for everything. I held off taking the sight down, until I found a good all-round load.

The front site on my Blue Ridge is just about filed down to the dove tail but it seems to shoot great that way. I shoot about 65 gr of ffg in it too.

Must have been them grade 5 earmuffs, but I stand corrected- it was MORE LIKE a flinter than a percussion!

:grin:

I had one of those days yesterday- also forgot to snap caps on my pistol first!

BOOM!, crack- @#$%%^, BOOM!, crack- *&^%$,crack-*&*&^%$$#@#@!@#- where's my !@#$! pricker?!

Then from the next range,over the berm comes- "buy a real gun!"

Latest posts

Back