• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dog Lock RIfles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no, the device behind the hammer usually acts as the "half cock". if you throw the hammer back, you need to have an "over throw" to let the "dog" slip out of the hammers catch. the moves forwad a bit to full cock and you can fire.

thank you. i will carefully plan what to do on that project and keep you informed.

in the moment i am working on re-shaping the stock of my Pedersoli Bess to convert the musket to a 1769 short land pattern.

when this is finished, i start with the dog lock.

50-100 years is no time at all in the firearms biz. Heck, the venerable 1911 is 102 years old, and the M1 Garand is 75. Most people consider those relatively serviceable and shootable today.

The other thing to consider, is that firearms of yore were substantially more expensive than the firearms of today (in constant dollars), and the average man's wages were less. While there were folks around that had sizable numbers of guns, the larger private collections (I'm talking 100+ guns) that are so commonplace today did not exist to the extend they do in today's society.

The dog lock musket were listed in Mass inventory during the revolution they were still common at that time.Many hundreds of them had been sent to bay colony in1730 to 1760s they were still just as effective as any of newer firelocks of the period in some cases actually better they certain were just as reliable and common as dirt at the time like surplus army rifles today

Back