• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does your state have a separate ML season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indiana has a seperate season for ML but we can also use a ML during firearms(shotgun). The smoke pole is a decided advantage over the rifled slug.There were so many deer here this year that the counties were given bonus tags to thin the herd but only one buck whether archery or firearms.
Two Trails

Michigan has a ML season in December usually a week after the regular firearms season. I've been hunting with my ML ever since the special season was started back in the 70's

It was great back then before the inline was invented. Now our "special" season has turned into a single shot rifle season. This has brought a ton of hunters into the "special" season. I hope some day we'll have a primitive season, sidelocks and iron sights. Do you think that would be too much to hope for?

Yes,
Colorado has one. This year the dates will be September 9th - Seeptember 17th. For Moose, Elk & Deer. Moose tags are very, very rare. But with a Preference Point you can hit on a Deer or a Elk tag.

One of the biggest reason's we don't have a seperate season here in Wy. is as you stated there would be relatively low participation. The other big problem is the Archery lobby, they have a tremendous amount of leverage with the Game and Fish.
In about 1981 when the legislature changed the laws so to give game and fish more leeway in setting seasons, I set out to get some bp only seasons. The district supervisor was favorable, the archers were flat out outraged, and the handgunners wanted their share, and the state muzzleloading association was of little help.
In the end we got the muzzleloader only season in the Bridger Valley but had to share the permits with the archers. They also offered up muzzleloader only season for elk on a general license, but it was for the herd between Rawlins and Jeff City, participation was low and success rates were lower.

We have a "Muzzle loading" season here in Tennessee BUT most of the people are using scoped, inlines so in that respect there's really not much difference between it and regular "Big gun" season. Personally, I'd like to see a "Primitive Weapons Season" where you can only use Traditionl muzzle loaders. I can't stand those dang inlines, they take our of the fun out of it. Yes, I'm a "Traditionalist" in the most extream sense. Flintlocks and sidelock cap locks are "real" muzzle loaders, inlines are just a way for more people to clog up the woods during ML season. Oh well, I'm off of my soapbox, LOL. :v

MN does, plus you can use ML in shotgun or rifle zone during reg season. ML only season ran Nov 26-Dec 11 last year. Lots of souls decide they'd rather stay inside...

A muzzleloader in MN:
Ӣ the muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);
Ӣ the smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber; and
Ӣ the rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;
Ӣ muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer seasons only, except nonmagnifying scopes may be used by muzzleloader
season hunters with a medically certified visual impairment and a DNR permit.

muzzleloader
Ӣ Big game may be taken with muzzleloaders that meet the definition of legal firearms.
”¢ Only open and “peep” type sights (including those with fiber optic material) are legal during the Muzzleloader Deer Season. Scopes, including holographic or “red dot” scopes, are not legal for this season, except for use of nonmagnifying scopes by special permit for persons with medically verified visual impairments. A permit application is available by calling the DNR Information Center.

Some areas are closed to MLs, but there are some special permit areas for MLs only.

To see more: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us

-Riley
TMA Charter Member #20
TMA MN State Rep

NYS has two, or did this last year. Up north went earlier than anyone else except archers. I think it was the same season. And then they had a late season south after the regular season was over. Going last they did. I live on the edge of the zones so I go to both. I like the early northern season better, but it has its downfalls, like the leaves haven't dropped off the trees yet and this year it was oh so warm and rainy

Mississippi does and I just found out my 45-70 Springfield qualifies as a primitive weapon even loaded with smokeless.

PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.38 caliber or larger) of a kind and type manufactured prior to 1900, and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges. Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons. Sidearms are not allowed during primitive weapon season.

Back