• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does it make a difference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that would be something! A .69 caliber flintlock rifle musket. Not sure what time period that would fit into....

" but I'm stuck in the 1750's and can't use the mini or maxi."

Ihave an old Lyman catalog from the 50's that has some great photos of antique guns and bullet molds. Of the gang molds from the AWI era is one that had 4 different sized balls from about .55" to .68" and one odd projectile that is basically a "can" shape that was .68" in diameter and .75" long and had slightly rounded edges, possibly from wear. Imagine a volley of those little devils!

Given the choice I'd go with .54. Because I shoot round ball. If you choose a fast twist conical shooter in the .45 or .50 either one will do the job on deer, but the round ball rifles are not to be underestimated.

Keith

Depends on your legs & how far you want to drag the deer. If you want to shoot it & see it drop, use a .54 or .58 & good shot placement = less distance of tracking & dragging the deer. :thumbsup:

But if deciding on a .45 vs .50 for deer hunting, definately the larger caliber. Both will work, but it is hard to beat bullet mass & energy. And the .50 will do everything & more on the target range, especially shooting steel sihoulette plates at 100 yards.
:thumbsup:

Another thing to consider is the popularity and availability of the ammunition. 50 cal. seems to be the most popular and will probably be available at a local gun or sporting goods store. When you get out to Garrett County there are no big sporting chain stores. You are also more likely to be able to borrow roundballs or other projectiles should you need them.
I didn't know there was going to be a turkey shoot at the end of a 16 shot trail walk. I had two patched balls remaining in my boards and was able to borrow three round balls and patches from the others as almost every one else was shooting 50 cal. There was only one 45 cal. and one 32 cal. out of eighteen shooters.
Just something to think about.

Bruce

Birddog6 said:
Depends on your legs & how far you want to drag the deer. If you want to shoot it & see it drop, use a .54 or .58 & good shot placement = less distance of tracking & dragging the deer. :thumbsup:
:shocked2: BAH!!!! a 50 with ""good shot placement"" will do same as a 54....IMHO.... :wink:

I like the 50's myself. The fifties covers the 50, 54, 56, and 58. I started with a 45. Don't own one anymore.
After reading this, several folks need to do some reading on velocity, caliber, and twist. The statement that the most it can be doing is 1 turn in 66 inches about made me spew my coffee laughing.
You all have a nice day!

"After reading this, several folks need to do some reading on velocity, caliber, and twist. The statement that the most it can be doing is 1 turn in 66 inches about made me spew my coffee laughing.
You all have a nice day!'

It has never been a requirement to inject fact and reallity into the subject matter of the post on this forum, we do quite nicely blindly flogging our way through bias, tainted, outdated notions, old wives tails and plenty of healthy portions of BS, while keeping tradition alive...

1 said:
"After reading this, several folks need to do some reading on velocity, caliber, and twist. The statement that the most it can be doing is 1 turn in 66 inches about made me spew my coffee laughing.
You all have a nice day!'

2 said:
It has never been a requirement to inject fact and reallity into the subject matter of the post on this forum, we do quite nicely blindly flogging our way through bias, tainted, outdated notions, old wives tails and plenty of healthy portions of BS, while keeping tradition alive...

I had to go back and check this. He said:

some prior post said:
Perhaps the ball was fired from a barrel with a typical round ball twist - say 1 turn in 66 inches. Regardless of velocity the ball is, at best, making 1 turn in 66". If the deer's girth was 15 inches, the ball would make less than 1/4 turn inside the deer.

Put your coffee back in.

I believe that is true. If the ball starts at 1:66 it's not going to add spin past the muzzle . . . only lose it. The most it will ever spin is 1 turn in 66".

Reading comprehension is fun! :wink:

Yea, and a top never spins faster than the line speed of the string! :rotf: Reading skill is very important. It rates right up there intelligence and and comprehension. I'll work on my reading. You work on understanding what you read and then remembering it!

You guys are funny...I'm glad this forum always has room for humor.

this post seems to have taken on a new twist.. :hmm: ...........oh somebody had to say it...the question is will this post maintain it's twist ? slow down it's twist? or speed up??? stay tuned!! :wink:

Birddog6 said:

I must be doing something wrong then , the last 14 deer I have shot has been with a 50. The furthest one got was less than 12 yards. Most just buckled their front legs and dropped.

zukeeper1 said:
Birddog6 said:

I must be doing something wrong then , the last 14 deer I have shot has been with a 50. The furthest one got was less than 12 yards. Most just buckled their front legs and dropped.

Maybe they read online somewhere that a 50 is inadequate and they fell over from the laughter? :slap: :blah:

Runner said:
. . . After reading this, several folks need to do some reading on velocity, caliber, and twist. The statement that the most it can be doing is 1 turn in 66 inches about made me spew my coffee laughing.
You all have a nice day!

Hi Runner,
Here was my complete quote:
I believe Paul's facts are correct, but as in any discussion there is usually another perspective. Let's look at the velocity and twist from the deer tissue's point of view. Perhaps the ball was fired from a barrel with a typical round ball twist - say 1 turn in 66 inches. Regardless of velocity, the ball is, at best, making 1 turn in 66". If the deer's girth was 15 inches, the ball would make less than 1/4 turn inside the deer.

The twist of the ball measured in rpm increases with the velocity, but the rate of turn per inch of travel remains the same --- one turn in 66 inches whether the velocity is 1000 fps or 2000 fps.

I still stand by my statement, but I'm always willing to learn. If there is something you know that I don't please fill me in.

Regards,
Pletch

Larry, if you are really asking that question, then I am both disappointed and very enlightened about the results of some flintlock testing!

Latest posts

Back