• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think this will work?.... vent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking out loud here....

On a drilled vent for a flintlock.,..

Take 16 th pin stock and insert into the vent.
Unbreeched grab the pin stock with some needle nose pliers and feed....pull the wire out the breech.
Heat or cold forge a paddle on the end of the wire.
Stone edges on each side of the little paddle.
Pull the wire from the vent until the paddle is against the inside edge of the vent.
Straighten or shorten the wire.
Chuck it up in a drill.... pull and cut an inside cone.
When done pull it out the breech with pliers.

It seems like it may work but I don't know if the music wire is maleable enough to feed through the vent and out the breech.

Look on the internet - I happened upon someone that had used finish nails as inside coning tools for touch-holes in much the same way that you describe.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
There is no chance any of that will work.
Did you miss the part where someone had done an inside cone with a finish nail...?

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:

I have to disagree to a point, the music wire will indeed be harder than the barrel material. With stoning two cutting edges it could be done. Will it yield a good result... Unlikely, to many other variables involved but yes, could be done but why???

Black Hand said:
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
Did you miss the part where someone had done an inside cone with a finish nail...?

Yes, I did miss that part since I was typing my response prior to you submitting yours.

In the spirit of fairness, however, I would like to update my response to:

It is unlikely that that will work though I wish you the best of luck.

Is there some advantage in having the coning on the bore side of the vent rather than the pan side?

Spence

For looks the inside cone doesn’t draw the eye. Both bring the charge and the flash closer together.
Spence 10, how about you send me that tool to do my rifle. I’ll send it back as soon as I can! :wink:

That is such a cool gadget. Too bad nobody makes one of them any more.

I actually suspect that a cone on the outside would provide faster ignition than a cone on the inside. But that is a guess only. I have no data to back it up.

The inside cone brings the charge closer to the heat of the pan and brings more powder closer to the heat of the pan.

There's a good reason why the Jim Chamber's White Lightening touch hole liner is coned on the inside. It works better than a cone on the outside.

Grenadier1758 said:
The inside cone brings the charge closer to the heat of the pan and brings more powder closer to the heat of the pan.

There's a good reason why the Jim Chamber's White Lightening touch hole liner is coned on the inside. It works better than a cone on the outside.

:thumbsup:

Works darn good at that, good stuff. :thumbsup:

Tom Snyder makes tools for coning the inside of a touchhole. A left hand threaded 1/16” rod threads into a bullet-shaped cutter with flutes like a countersink.

Unbreech the barrel
Drill 1/16” touchhole
Insert threaded rod in drilled hole and cutter gets inserted from the breech with needle nosed pliers. Screw rod into cutter.
Chuck it up in a drill, fire it up and pull the cutter upward toward the outside
Stop when the desired thinness is achieved

I can see how that would work but, in terms of time and money. Why not use a carbon steel liner which is virtually invisible when the barrel is finished? :hmm:

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. Time is less than drilling, tapping, countersinking for liner, installing, sawing it off, filing it even inside and out, for me. But since liners are preferred by customers, I use Jim Chambers’ liners he offers made in non-stainless steel as you suggest, for guns I will sell.

Back