• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you have a name for your gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Daniel Boone and Simon Kenton didn't think naming their rifles was silly then neither do I.

Daniel Boone rifle - Tick Licker

Simon Kenton rifle - Death Wind

I'll have to think of a cool name for my new rifle. :thumbsup:

I think Simon Kenton was probably thinking about his dog when he came up with that name.

In a small enclosure, a dog can indeed create something called a "Death Wind". Often many of them, usually followed by the dog rolling his eyes to see whether you heard it coming.

I'm betting he was telling someone the name of his dog while it was laying next to his gun.

The listener was confused and thought he was speaking about his gun. :grin:

This reminds me of Mac, my brothers child nurturing pit bull of rather impressive girth.
:bull:
The flag should read PBS!
But Mac really was a sweet dog. Loved to catch thrown bean cans and bring you sieves. Loved to do exactly what you said you wanted but you'd best make your desires very clear.

Been thinking "Squirrel Bait" too but for a totally different reason! Just waiting for deer season to finish so Senor Squirrel and I can settle our differences on the field of honor! In truth, I'm the one feeling like squirrel bait! :doh: :haha:

Flinter987:

I have so many.....

Percussion Lock

.32 - Squirrely
.45 - Old Kentucky
.50 - Tammy
.577 - Emma

Flintlock

.50 - Abigail
.75 - Bessie

Doglock

.62 - Helga

Snaphaunce

.72 - Olga

Wheellock

.58 - Sparky

Matchlock\Flintlock

.72 - Wilma

Matchlock

.62 - Anna
.72 - Trudy
.75 - Hildegarde
.83 - Brünhilda

Serpentine Lock

.54 - Isolde
.77 - Gretchen

Handgonne

.50 ”“ Mercury
.56 - Hariela
.75 Round - Dora
.75 Hex - Freyja
.75 Hakenbüchse ”“ Herfjotur

BP Breechloader

.45-70 - Loviatar
.50 - Feddy

It would take too long to explain the names.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Nah, Tele, all you gotta do is did out the "Nordic Myth Guide"! :wink: :haha:

My Kentucky rifle I call lewis because it was the last thing me and my dad lewis talked about doing together ya no a father son build its the first and last rifle ill build.

As most on this forum I have many. The only one I named is a .54 Cabelas Hawken flinter I like to hunt with. I call it -The Flash- for no reason just seems like a good name. :grin: Larry

grzrob said:
I named it " Thump " because it did on both ends.
:grin:
I have a 12 gauge coach gun named "Thumper" for the same reason, lol.
None of my muzzleloaders have names but my old Browning BLR is named "Deer Killer".

Actuall, I have two.
Usually it is called "Sweety".
On occasion, it is refered to as "That damned useless hunk of manure unreliable POS".
You can figure it out for yourself.

I have several muzzleloading rifles and each has a name. However, the names are fleeting because something may cause me to decide that a different name is better or more fitting and I will change it. Not so for my Remington Sendero .308 deer rifle which is named "The Angle of Death" for obvious reasons. My Sharps .45/120 is named "Kills On Both Ends". If you have ever fired a full load from my rifle, you will agree that it is properly named. Well, I do have one custom .54 caliber mountain rifle with the most beautiful wood and color case hardened furniture. It is a tack driver, too. I named it Patti after my wife of nearly 50 years because it is so beautiful. It'll be 50 years in June that this beautiful woman has been my soul mate and has been by my side through thick and thin. May God bless her richly.

Amen Bill! Sounds like she's got you trained and housebroken! :haha: Miss Bev like crazy and it was only 35 for us...don't ever let complacency get a foothold anywhere! :thumbsup: :wink:

I built a 54, Lancaster, first time shooting it my 5 year old was behind me holding the ear muffs on, when I touched her off he took off running for the truck yelling " its thundering daddy, its thundering... so everytime I take her out he asks if im going out with thunder.
guess she`s named thunder :grin:

Actually I have to plead guilty. I have a 50 caliber off and Flint named Edith after Theodore Roosevelt's, Second Life, that's because my walking stick is named Theodore.The chunk gun weighing in at 28 pounds. I just simply call him hefty. The 38 caliber 30 inch barrel table gun is known a stubby. Oh, let's not forget the 69 caliber smoothbore Flint we call him, Toby you want to know the story behind that you have to get a hold of me privately. Yes, there are more, but we'll just leave it at those few. Everybody have a great day.

Back