• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do... :)
IMG_5563.jpeg

It's just me and my wife, retired, and we display our cap and ball revolvers on recessed shelves along with our single shot pistols. We have our long arms on hooks around the walls of two rooms. We have ADT and other alarms along with 3 unmentionables, loaded, sitting in our nightstands. When we leave for extended times, we'll hide the valuable items. I used the Walker in my arm exercises along with a Dragoon so I am always in the rooms.

No modern pistols out in the open as they are a prime target, ones most likely to be used in a crime or accidental discharge. Three friends lost sons from easy access - one accident, two suicides. Worked too many others over the years exactly the same. Highly unlikely a kid living in a house doesn't know where anything is hidden. Be honest ...we all knew where our folks had stuff we weren't supposed to get into ...right? So do our kids and grandkids.

Muzzleloading long guns? Good ones are in safes. Nothing on walls that can be seen from outside nor by casual observers where on rare occasions, a visitor might be here on business, etc. Safes. Alarm/camera. Insurance (in that order).

No modern pistols out in the open as they are a prime target, ones most likely to be used in a crime or accidental discharge. Three friends lost sons from easy access - one accident, two suicides. Worked too many others over the years exactly the same. Highly unlikely a kid living in a house doesn't know where anything is hidden. Be honest ...we all knew where our folks had stuff we weren't supposed to get into ...right? So do our kids and grandkids.

Muzzleloading long guns? Good ones are in safes. Nothing on walls that can be seen from outside nor by casual observers where on rare occasions, a visitor might be here on business, etc. Safes. Alarm/camera. Insurance (in that order).
Great grand son thought to pick up one of my shotguns. His mother - my grand daughter - got to him before I did. He developed a several year allergy to firearms.
On the other hand: As a child at family farms in the SW VA hills no one thought twice about me handling rifles and shot guns. I knew the rules and was field stripping them before I even knew what field stripping was.
Storage was stacking them behind a bedroom door.
Lamy's store and gas station at the foot of the hollow sold .22 cartridges by the piece. Often I struggled with the choice of soda or ammunition.

Great grand son thought to pick up one of my shotguns. His mother - my grand daughter - got to him before I did. He developed a several year allergy to firearms.
On the other hand: As a child at family farms in the SW VA hills no one thought twice about me handling rifles and shot guns. I knew the rules and was field stripping them before I even knew what field stripping was.
Storage was stacking them behind a bedroom door.
Lamy's store and gas station at the foot of the hollow sold .22 cartridges by the piece. Often I struggled with the choice of soda or ammunition.
Where at in SW VA?

As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?

When I grew up in rural upstate New York, almost every house had a large wood and glass gun case with the rifles, usually bolt action deer rifles or shotguns, stored. It was usually very prominently located in either the dining or living rooms and was a point of pride. And another boomstick might be leaning against the front door frame for ready access. And here's the thing, most of us kept our doors unlocked and just never had a problem. Guns were not mysterious but thought of and respected as tools or implements. Most were given a rifle or shotgun in their early teens for hunting and knew how to use it responsibly. I recall in my high school carrying rifles through the school after hours to the rifle club in the facility's basement. No one considered doing anything stupid because of respect and proper upbringing.

That was definitely a different world. I would think twice about doing that today, given our society's general lawlessness, no matter where you live, but especially double true if you live near any big city. This is a sad commentary on things, but somebody could steal your handbuilt masterpiece and sell it for $20 of drugs. It just makes me sick to see what we have allowed to happen to our society. Those tried and true old values and traditions kept us safe and prosperous as a nation for well over 250 years. Now the goblins seem to be ruling the roost. We need a reboot as a nation.

Attachments

• 38bd5e9e7ee14ef453031f56d3ca1db9--wood-gun-cabinet-gun-cabinets.jpg
    38bd5e9e7ee14ef453031f56d3ca1db9--wood-gun-cabinet-gun-cabinets.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
Now that my grandchildren aren’t little kid’s anymore and my 66” x 37” Fort Knox safe is over filled (unloaded) , as well as a gun cabinet (unloaded) they are strategically concealed all over the house and everyone of those is loaded.
The grandkids know they are loaded and I’ve made it abundantly clear that anytime they want to see, handle or hear about them just ask and I will be delighted to enjoy them again through their eyes.
They also know if they touch one without me handing it to them they will be in very deep “do-do!” They mind.

Last edited:
one might say i also live in a gated community. the USFS continues to gate off all the roads around me.
Lots of folks don’t realize that a gated community is not a guarantee against knuckleheads invading your home. A gated community simply weeds out most unwanted traffic but those who want to go in will. I live in a fairly small gated community of about 80 ish homes. Good thing is we have a Facebook page just for our community and we watch out for unwanted or suspicious activity.
Back to the subject, best and safer out of sight, IMO.

Back