• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do You Aim or Just Point Your 1851?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kevthebassman said:
With the way the sights on my Pietta '51 work, I'd be better off pointing it. I took a dremel and a file to them and brought them about 4 inches closer to the bull, so now I'm only about 12 inches high and left at 25 yards. Too bad that I can't file it any closer. :cursing:

One good thing is that the pistol groups GREAT. Just nowhere near where I aim it.
File the muzzle , not the sights.

Couple of thoughts. I love my 1911 Colt and would be glad to have it in any gun fight but if a situation arose where I had two 1860 Colt 44's loaded with maximum powder charges, I would feel a bit hampered but not too bad. I think the semi-auto requires more training, the long barrel pistol is more easy to shoot accurately with the newbie IMHO.
On to the sights. My 1851 shot high like they all do. We had a museum exhibit of western memorabilia come to town and there was a Colt 1851 where the brass bead was removed and a small dovetailed sight installed, hence such is PC as the gun was a museum piece. In any event with a higher front sight you have to hold the barrel lower and that solves the problem.

Back