• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belld416

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the Dixie Gun Works muzzle loaders. I see them around at some of the gun shops I go into from time to time.

They are usually just stamped Dixie Gun Works. Are they made overseas and imported? And if you do have one are they pretty good rifles?

Thanks

As far as I know, they were all imported. The Tennessee Mountain Rifle and Tennessee Squirrel Rifle were made by B C Miroku (made Charles Daly shotguns prior to Browning Citori) in Japan and are excellent shooters.

As far as I know, they were all imported. The Tennessee Mountain Rifle and Tennessee Squirrel Rifle were made by B C Miroku (made Charles Daly shotguns prior to Browning Citori) in Japan and are excellent shooters.
Thanks for the information. I’ve saw a few and they look nice, just never much information on the barrel.

Thanks for the information. I’ve saw a few and they look nice, just never much information on the barrel.

I had a Tn Mtn Rifle (.50 flint) back around 1980, but foolishly sold it a few years later. I found another, unfired around 2001 that was too good of a deal to pass on and it is standing here beside me. 42" of 15/16" x .50 is a might muzzle heavy, but I do my best offhand shooting with it. If I were to run across a nice Tn Squirrel rifle, I might just buy it.

8211F90C-66C2-41FF-BFB2-7CBA55EB09EC.jpeg 2F56ED44-81AC-4207-8ACF-ABE3236F497E.jpeg Here’s an example of an Antonio Zoli Zouave ( ITALIAN ) that Dixie sold and stamped with their own company name on the trigger guard.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Yeah as an "importer" you can contract with the Italian gun makers, and could with Miroku in the past, to have their products meet your standards, and...., your importer name gets stamped on the product. Hatfield did it with Pedersoli Frontier rifles, and Cimmaron does the same with Uberti Cowboy revolvers. Navy Arms did it with imported guns too. So does EMF I believe. There are a minimum number of "units" (guns you'd have to order), since it's wholesale and often involves a better finish, or better wood, and etc.

LD

I have a .32 Dixie very nice rifle it is set up for either percussion or flint lock currently has the flint lock on it, Great squirrel getter. From time to time come across the bigger bore rifles. May break down one of these days and buy one. My personal opinion is these are fine rifles.

I have a .32 from when the Japanese sent them to Dixie. I use a brass ram rod but would like to have a ramrod that fits the rifle. I have just received a tough rod from Dixie and it is too tight. Anything in 5/16" just a little snug. Hopefully I will get a reply from Dixie on how to properly dress it down or if it is possible to dress it down. The bigger bore rifle are must to harvest bigger game in some states but they are lead eating, powder burning monsters.

I have a 50 cal Dixie Mt Rifle, that i reshaped to slim down the forestock (sharp edge where wood meets the barrel) and it improved the looks a lot. I also added an L&R RPL lock, which sparks much better than the orignal small frizzen lock. Only problem with it is the lockplate is slightly smaller than the original, so i had to mix up some dyed Acraglas to fill in the gap. Still well worth the effort to get a good sparks. A fine rifle, but one needs to be in good shape to hold that puppy up......she is heavy for an old guy.

Dixie returned my inquiry on how to properly dress down the tough ram rod they sell for the 32 caliber. I wasn't sure how to handle the fiberglass and brass to keep a decent finish. Dixie's gunsmith got a new rod and tried it in the shop. He found that the rifle bore is .0025 more than the rod's diameter. That's close, but the remedy they recommended using 220 grit emery and finishing with 0000 steel wool made it much better. Where the rod tips were mounted to the rod the fiberglass was slightly swollen. My thanks to Dixie Gun Works and their solution, I have not worked with fiberglass and was leery of ruining the ramrod.

As a kid in the 70s the DGW catalog was to me what the Bannerman's catalog was to Dad in the 40s.
I spent many hours pouring over the pages, i liked how they listed the ball and charge recommended for each weapon, and so much info it's unbelievable.
I got to meet Turner's son and daughter at the NRA convention in Dallas and spent some time talking to them. Really nice people, bought a catalog from them.

Dixie returned my inquiry on how to properly dress down the tough ram rod they sell for the 32 caliber. I wasn't sure how to handle the fiberglass and brass to keep a decent finish. Dixie's gunsmith got a new rod and tried it in the shop. He found that the rifle bore is .0025 more than the rod's diameter. That's close, but the remedy they recommended using 220 grit emery and finishing with 0000 steel wool made it much better. Where the rod tips were mounted to the rod the fiberglass was slightly swollen. My thanks to Dixie Gun Works and their solution, I have not worked with fiberglass and was leery of ruining the ramrod.

While I agree that using a tough ramrod is a good idea, I do NOT recommend using fiberglass for ramrods. Fiber glass is very abrasive and unless you have a large supply of bore protectors, you will wear out the muzzle of your rifle.

In the picture below there are two muzzle protectors. Can you guess which one was used for 6 months with a fiberglass ramrod and which one was used for 25 years with a brass ramrod? Both started out as 3/8" diameter muzzle protectors.
36017725640_baa87f40eb_z.jpg

Back