• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disappointing Gun Show

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W.

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I Went to the local gun show today. One booth had a flintlock which was probably worth maybe $350~400, but he was asking $2000. He said the makers name, which meant nothing to me, but it was nothing special, no inlays or carving, just a plain rifle. What was very interesting was the huge vent hole. It was around 7/64" to 1/8" and I think the latter! I asked if I could see how it sparked and the answer was no. I also asked if could run a patch down the barrel and he said no again. He also had a Green Mountian .50 barrel and was asking $200 for it claiming it was below cost. I told him not even the swamped barrels go for that price. I had to leave that booth because I could see the guy was becoming agitated. I told him good luck at selling either one.

At another booth, there was a T/C Hawkens from a kit, very poorly done and the asking price on that was $350. I almost bought it, but man was it ugly!

At still another booth, a guy had a Traditions .50 with a missing stock wedge. I almost bought that one at $100, but I got distracted and forgot to revisit him before the show closed. I have but one question to ask. Why are they called Tradition when nothing at all is traditional about them?

Every gun show I have gone to has ended the same way. Things that are over priced, defective, and inability to examine the article completly are the normal results. I don't go anymore.

From what I've seen at gunshows most of the dealers really aren't interested in selling anything, they're interested in "sticking it to someone". They'll haul a bunch of guns in and at the end of the show they haul them all home again. I've seen some dealers with the very same guns on their table for years. But if they ever do sell something they can boast "I really stuck it to him"! :haha:

One of my friends has a gun store and goes to alot of the local shows. He told me NEVER to buy any of the used guns at the shows, that is where the dealers go to get rid of the old, the broken, the worn out, the overpriced, etc. Let the buyer beware.

I have found some great guns at shows over the years. I will admit that finding good antique guns is getting pretty difficult except at my table of course! :haha:

I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Brooks. I'll admit that the tables are not overflowing with bargains, but every now and then there's a gem in there somewhere. I've picked up a few really nice things for very little money. Just a few, and certainly not often, but it happens.

My wife collects antique china, and she does the same thing. We've waded through lots of real junk to find a few diamonds, but it's better than sitting in front of the tv complaining about how bad things are.

To each his own, I guess. What I don't understand are the people who get angry about it. They seem insulted when a dealer doesn't want to give them the deal of the century. Hey, it's a free country - just walk away. You don't have to be all mad and insulted.

With due respect to the above comments, we have all had a few bad gun show experiences from some unscrupulas venders.
I must agree with Mike on this one. By and large most gun show vendors are "straight up" and honest. Though some may be a bit misinformed, most will let you handle their goods (work the action, strike a spark, ect.). You can find good deals at a gun show, even if not always the "gold ring", but be prepaired to ask the right questions or have someone with you who does.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

mykeal said:
I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Brooks. I'll admit that the tables are not overflowing with bargains, but every now and then there's a gem in there somewhere. I've picked up a few really nice things for very little money. Just a few, and certainly not often, but it happens.

My wife collects antique china, and she does the same thing. We've waded through lots of real junk to find a few diamonds, but it's better than sitting in front of the tv complaining about how bad things are.

To each his own, I guess. What I don't understand are the people who get angry about it. They seem insulted when a dealer doesn't want to give them the deal of the century. Hey, it's a free country - just walk away. You don't have to be all mad and insulted.

Just to make things clear, I was not upset, the dealer was. I told him the prices of what the GM barrel went for and HE got touchy. I just mentioned the flinter as a joke as to what he was asking for it and the huge touch hole size. I did walk away, albeit shaking my head.

I have indeed found a few good deals at the gun shows.

I basicly have stopped going to gun shows and I love guns. I only go if I just have nothing to do and one is in town.

That's about my take these days, except for the military arms show in PA.

Usually I'm just too busy shooting at one of the three clubs that I belong to...so many disciplines (USPSA, IDPA, Bowling Pins, High Power, Static Steel, Knockdown Steel, and oh yeah, Black Powder) so little time to shoot them all! :haha:

Dave

IN MY AREA, IF I FIND SUCH A GUN, I ASK IF I CAN LEAVE MY DRIVERS LICENCE AND INSPECT THE GUN. YOU FIND ALOT ABOUT THE DEALER. IF YOU GET TO TAKE THE GUN YOU FIND ALOT ABOUT THE GUN.

I have gone to two gun shows this year.The first show there were two percussion side hammers there....a CVA and a TC Hawken.I bought the Hawken from a vendor for $50.It has cleaned up fairly decent.Last weekend at the second show there was one TC Hawken and I got it for $60.The stock and lock are in great shape but the bore looked like cotton candy.I've cleaned on the bore for about 5 hours so far and it's much better than I thought it would be.I'm going to shoot it Friday. I'm in Mississippi and no one wants side hammers but a few of us. :thumbsup:

Back