• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different Powders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Suri

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just recently given quite a few pounds of various black powder. I have Austen, Hodgdon and Meteor powders. Most of the cans are marked 2f or 3f with some not marked at all. The cans are mostly sealed but a bit rusty or just dirty. I have always used Goex powder. Not sure if I should try these in my ML or dispose of them properly. Any thoughts ??

Black powder has an almost indefinite life span. Centuries and more when properly stored. Yours seems just fine from what you describe. Go ahead an use. Results from one brand to the other and different grades will give slightly different results. But at today's prices for powder, do use that stuff and enjoy. BTW, those cans alone might have collector value. Take care of the cans.

check out the co. on internet to see if in business. there should be a lot no. on the can.
they can tell you when it was made. I have used powder 10 years old but can was still sealed.
he is another pc. of info that can of meteor powder is collectable. selling for 60 plus a can. don't use it

If what rj has to say about the value of Meteor powder is correct, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him, I would certainly agree that you should not shoot it. It is too valuable to collectors. I would list it for sale on the forum ads with the proviso that the purchaser pick it up in person. That would avoid the Hazmat fees to ship it. But if they were willing to pay hazmat fees, go ahead and ship it to them. rj did not say, but the other cans may have collector value as well so I would not use them until I had checked that out as well. You could end up with enough money to buy several cans of Goex.

If it's the Meteor can listed with the Curtis and Harvey's, it's an EMPTY can for $75.00. :youcrazy:

There's also a DuPont can, $98 full or $75 if they empty the can.

I guess it just goes to show that people will buy anything. I'd rather buy 3 cans of Goex than an empty can.

Latest posts

Back