• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Diamond Shelter - 8oz or 10oz

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is 8oz canvas heavy enough for a Diamond Shelter?

Went to the hardware store today to pickup a painters canvas (9'x12') to make a Diamond Shelter. My plan is to trim a 9'x12' down to a 9'x9'and was planning on getting 10oz. Turns out the only carry 8oz.

Is that heavy enough?

Thank you for the input.

-Turtle2-

I think you will find that the 8 oz. is a little light for a shelter. We use 12 and 14 oz. for shelters and tarps. I used to get the tarps from Wichita Awning in Wichita, Ks. You might want to try them for price and money saving. I don't have a address or phone number but ya might get it from a phone book at the library. I think you will find that the rain will just spray right on through the 8 0z. canvas.

10 oz is better. just for grins, keep track of how much you have invested when finished with your project. I've found that in most cases by the time you are finished you could have bought one for just a couple of bucks more and it would ready to go without all the mess and hassle. If you just want to do it as a hands on project.....
go for it.
:thumbsup:

With most 8 oz you can see through the weave. That's not good. Even washing it in hot water will not reduce the big holes in the weave.

No matter how much waterproof you put on it, it will always allow a fine mist to pass through when it rains. Gives the impression of a tropical rain forest.

You can paint it but that adds a lot of weight, gets stiff and defeats the purpose. Paint is more expensive than homebrew waterproofing and adds cost.

Go with the 10 oz, do the job right and only have to do it once. You'll save a few pennies in the long run.

Just for grins, do keep up with the cost. You will save around half the cost of a commercial diamond shelter, and it will not have the hokey straps hanging off everywhere.

Every tent maker in our links section offers an assortment of diamond shelters.

Use the term "Trail Tarp" when you search.

Prices usually start at around $100 for a 9X9.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now I'm wondering if the 10 oz is even heavy enough?

I will keep you guys posted on the cost and that is why I started down the path of making my own.

Anyway, is 10oz heavy enough or should I look at 12 oz or??? I don't want it to be too heavy but at the same time I don't want the rain coming thru either.

-Turtle2-

My choice for any ahelter is Four Seasons Tent Masters. They offer no canvas that is not Flame retartant, Water repellant, and mildew resistant.
10 oz all cotton. I have never regreted buying one of their shelters to this day and the only water that I get inside is from their 6ft x 6ft utility tents that I use as a shower.
The first tent that I owned was a 15 ft Tipi, that tent is now 30 years old and on its third owner and has been repaired twice in those years.
Can't ask for a better testimonial than that.
give them a call 517-436-6246.
:thumbsup:

How thick a piece of canvas is affects how strong and heavy it is. 12 oz. is much heavier than 8 oz., and that extra "mass" will make it a little stronger. But the primary feature affecting its abilities to repel water is how TIGHT OF WEAVE it is. The tighter the threads are woven together, the less room for water to come through. And when that fabric gets wet, it swells up closing those gaps even farther. Paints, oils, and chemicals used to "waterproof" fabric soak into the threads, swelling them up - thus closing the tiny holes in the finished fabric. And some of the stuff added on also sticks to the outside of the material - also filling in those tiny holes.

How strong of initial fabric you would want depends upon how you are going to use your trail tarp, and how long you want it to last. If you are going to hump it through the woods a lot, weight means a lot. So then you go with a much lighter fabric, knowing that it will not be quite as strong and not last as long as the heavy tarps. If you are always setting up at drive-in events where you don't have to carry it much, then the thicker material will give you longer life, a stronger fabric, hold up better in strong winds, and just look more substantial. The trade-offs are there.

There are a number of people that have purchased very high quality thread count linen sheets to make their trail tarps - 400 to 600 thread count or higher. These work well to repel water, even without any waterproofing "treatment", but some does help. And their trail tarp is very light, and roll/pack up very small. Now, those sheets are not as strong as 12 oz. canvas, but the trade-off in weight and initial cost was well worth it.

Sewing Loops on a tarp is a fairly modern practice. It also creates a stress point in the fabric, and can be one of the first places to tear out. A much more appropriate option is to tie a small pebble or roundball into the corners of your fabric, using some light cord/rope - and anywhere else that you want a tie point. These spread the stress of the tie-point around much better, and are easy to remove, replace, or move (unless your knots are a tad too tight).

I've used a 9x12 painters tarp from SWP for years, with those roundball ties in appropriate places. I set it up a lot as a diamond fly (9x9 with 3 feet tucked under), and in quite a few other configurations. It's about a 10 oz., and a tad heavy to carry far. I've also sewn up a 6 x 7 1/2 by 6 feet high wedge tent out of 8 oz. that weighs about the same. Now I'm looking for some 6 oz. fabric for a new trail tarp - if it's of tight enough weave. So goes life.

Of course, these are buy my humble opinions, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

yhs
Mike Ameling

Mike, I agree with your aversion to the loops option. I have a 9x9 tarp from Tentsmiths, and love it actually, but it will always be a "tarp tent" to me because once, while puting on a presentation at a local museum, the one thing a visitor keyed in on was the blasted loops! It never looked the same to me after that. My next tarp will be rectangular, and will have tie points instead of loops.

I've got a couple of things I did and both have worked well. I bought 6 yards of oil cloth from panther, had them cut it in two and sew it up giving me a nice 9 x 9. I had them leave the edges raw and use roundballs instead of marbles for tie points. After two years of use, it looks real good and has never let me down. The other is the 12 oz tarp I bought off eBay for 12.00, and cut the hem off of it to make a 9 x 9 with raw edges. I tie it up in a very tight plow point and stay very dry. It has never been waterproofed, but is very substantial weight wise. But since I started packing with a horse, I don't care about the weight of a single tarp. That 12 oz is a great event diamond shelter, and it's now nice mottled and aged.

Are the raw edges more historically accurate? Do they tend to unravel over time? I am not arguing, just curious.

Thanks

Back