• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Thompson Center PA Hunter questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphinator

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey all, recently an old farmer whose equipment I maintain asked if I wanted to buy some of his collection as he was thinning his heard. I bought a nice Underhammer .45 cal and an original 1862 Tower Enfield Rifle. Today he asked me if I wanted to buy his Thompson Center Pennsylvania Hunter. It is in great condition although not new in box it is damn close. It is a Flintlock .50 cal and has a 32" Octogon to Round Barrel. I cant stress enough how well he took care of this rifle. Anyway he said he want $850 for it. Are these rifles really worth that kind of money. I know Renegade Flintlocks are bringing $450-$500 but are the T/C flintlocks anygood. I know ive heard some bad about them and the DGW flintlocks. As of the moment I only have a .54 Mortimer Flintlock I got for free but it is too nice to take into the woods not to mention heavy. The 1862 Enfield weighs less in my opinion. If this rifle is in fact worth that much could you all lend some insight if ya got it. I'd hate overpay for a rifle but I'd also hate to turn it down if its cheap for that model of rifle ya know. As always thanks to everyone on the forum.

The T/C PA Hunter is a good rifle. I have both the flint and percussion. I think the 450-550 price range is more like a value. However, the lock needs attention as the geometry of the original T/C can be improved for more reliable performance. I sent mine out to Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders to be re-worked. They know how to do this correctly. Check their website for contact info. Now, after that work is done you just may have invested a good 700 into it. But don't let that stop you as you will have a very nice rifle that performs the way you want.

The T/C PA Hunter is a good rifle. I have both the flint and percussion. I think the 450-550 price range is more like a value. However, the lock needs attention as the geometry of the original T/C can be improved for more reliable performance. I sent mine out to Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders to be re-worked. They know how to do this correctly. Check their website for contact info. Now, after that work is done you just may have invested a good 700 into it. But don't let that stop you as you will have a very nice rifle that performs the way you want.
I assume $500~$600 is a good price for the rifle then ? Also when you say geometry do you mean lock is slow per say ?

I assume $500~$600 is a good price for the rifle then ? Also when you say geometry do you mean lock is slow per say ?
If the bore is pristine and you really want the gun, $500 tops. Believe the geometry being referred to is the angle that flint strikes the frizzen. The older designed cock is harder on flints compared to the newer one. The newer one is available. Someone will post a photograph showing the difference between the old and new design.

Yes, I think that's a fair price. And as such it will do ok. BUT- much better after you get the lock, frizzen, and cock re-worked. I believe CC re-hardened the frizzen. Not slow but more reliable. The orifinal cock has something of a "bad" angle in relation to the frizzen. T/C later came out with a different style cock - you might be able to find some links here under search. Maybe even images to view the difference in style. Anyway, Brad fixed mine up just fine. So I too have 7 into it. Might be more if I remember cause I think he asked to send the complete rifle. Then there is return shipping.

If the bore is pristine and you really want the gun, $500 tops. Believe the geometry being referred to is the angle that flint strikes the frizzen. The older designed cock is harder on flints compared to the newer one. The newer one is available. Someone will post a photograph showing the difference between the old and new design.
Thank you for the reply. I was actually gonna add to my reply wonderin if the geometry meant its angle of striking the frizzen but thought it sounded stupid lol. I guess I was partially on to something. Definitenly will ask how flexible the price is.

If you can get one for 5 to 550 then ok.
Was the Penn Hunter one of Thompson Center's highest dollar rifles ? I know there was the Cherokee and Seneca and then the Reneagde. There was the smoothbore .56 cal and the 12 ga New Englander and this Penn Hunter (I think I saw a carbine on this forum before as well).

I used to have one. The barrel was a QLA which meant the first 3 inches from the muzzle was relieved with no rifling to load easier. Was not very accurate. Sent out back to T/C for a non QLA replacement. Accuracy was much better but not as good as my home builds using Rice and Colerain barrels. I'd go $500 tops but skip it if it's the QLA but that's just me.

Hello all,
I just purchased a TC Pa Hunter Flintlock in excellent conditon at a flea market in PA for $420.00. I think this was a good price for me because here in PA flint guns sell high because of our flint only late deer season.
I sighted in with 70 gr 3F, .015 patch, .495 ball.
Hope deal works out.

The lock issue is in part due to a coil spring lock as opposed to a traditional flat spring lock. The coil spring strikes with maximum force at the release. This causes flints to not last as long. The flat spring is a more consistent hammer speed and a better flint wear. But remember a flint is just a rock and they are not all the same

Back