• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dialing in the proper Minie . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used MCM for my minies for years and SPG for BPCR. I just lubed up a batch of minies for my 58s and 69s with some Len's Lube that I've had laying around for a while. I'm looking forward to shooting them.

Lens works great on the Trashcans, not so much on other minies I've tried so far. Not bad, just nowhere near as good as beeswax/lard

I've used MCM for my minies for years and SPG for BPCR. I just lubed up a batch of minies for my 58s and 69s with some Len's Lube that I've had laying around for a while. I'm looking forward to shooting them.

I'm the new guy to this game -- especially casting and shooting Minies from a rifled musket. BUT -- I have to ask -- does the choice of lube really make any difference? I started out using "Precision Lube 2000" for my Hawken's REAL bullets, but it's so messy to use -- so I switched to dip-lubing everything using SPG. Does it really make a difference in accuracy? I guess I'll have to try some Minies lubed with the "Precision 2000" to find out for myself.

Last edited:
Gemmer I used Len's lube for years and it worked very well but I always felt it was messy. Len's team's campsite was next to ours and he sold out of a small booth on the sutler's row, real nice guy.

My wife and I used SPG for a couple of seasons on the recommendation of a teammate. It worked but there are much better lubes for minies out there, MCM is one.

For those who warm their lube to dip or pan lube repeated warming drives the moisture out of the lube and will change its properties. Not always noticeable by looking or feel but it will show up on the range. As much as I hate to throw anything away there's a time to do that with lube.

Gemmer I used Len's lube for years and it worked very well but I always felt it was messy. Len's team's campsite was next to ours and he sold out of a small booth on the sutler's row, real nice guy.

My wife and I used SPG for a couple of seasons on the recommendation of a teammate. It worked but there are much better lubes for minies out there, MCM is one.

For those who warm their lube to dip or pan lube repeated warming drives the moisture out of the lube and will change its properties. Not always noticeable by looking or feel but it will show up on the range. As much as I hate to throw anything away there's a time to do that with lube.

I did note that Len's is a bit thinner(gooey?) than MCM. I'll see what happens.

Back