• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Destroyed Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfhurst

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have an Uberti Colt-Walker. Obviously not a cheap reproduction. My problem is destroyed caps jamming the mechanism. I have tried a few different nipples and the three main makers of #11 caps all with the same result. The caps disintegrate and jam the rotation of the cylinder each time I fire. I was watching an NRA TV show featuring the Colt-Walker. They fired off five rounds as quickly as they could cock the hammer and fire. I have NEVER been able to get off more than two shots before having to dig out a spent primer. Any suggestions??

Maybe you need smaller flash holes? My guess is that the high pressure from the large powder charge is blowing the caps apart.

Have you tried those plastic rings you slip over caps?

Treso nipples and Remington #10 caps is the best you can do for a combo.

Part of the problem with a Walker is the heavy loads. It's hard on caps. The Treso will help that. What are you using for loads?

What you saw on TV was probably a revolver that was modified to keep the caps from fallen in the action. It's hard to fire any C&B revolver fast without some mods. Shields can be soldered in to guide the caps from the action. These should be done by a gunsmith who's familiar with CAS shooting. Very few use a Walker for CAS.

Why not shoot slower, and make sure the cap falls out before shooting another round?

I will certainly try the Treso nipples and #10 caps. What plastic covers are you referring to? Where can I get them? Thanks for all of your replys.

I don't know, as I don't use them myself. I think they are called cap guards. They are just pieces of tubing cut into rings. Supposedly they help keep the cap from disintegrating completely. They are sold commercially at a hundred for a few dollars, or you may be able to buy tubing and cut it up yourself.

Sometimes, letting the revolver rotate to vertical with recoil and cocking the hammer while the gun is still pointing upward will allow the cap to fall out better.

Aquarium tubing can be purchased locally and cut into narrow pieces to place on the capped nipples. But removing them for recapping can be somewhat tedious.
And installing Treso nipples and employing the Colt roll during firing may also help.
However, the following article describes the modification that can be performed on the Colt Walker to help insure that the cap stays on the nipple after it ignites. It involves installing a post in the hammer slot right behind the nipple which helps to insure that the spent caps stay in place. The hammer face is also modified to accommodate the post.
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/colt_cap_and_ball.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say it but the Walker was Sam Colts first venture into making a large .44 caliber handgun and mistakes were made.

Most folks who know something about C&B pistols are familiar with the falling loading lever on the Walker.

Among the other things that could stand improvement are the shape of the cylinder locking notches and the fact that there is no "cap relief" in the recoil shield.

The absence of a cap relief can cause the cap fragments to jam in between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield causing the gun to bind up.

All of these problems were addressed when the various Dragoon pistols were designed and introduced however those of you who own a Walker will just have to do as the people back in 1847 did. They learned to live with the guns faults and make the best of it. :(

Zonie said:
Hate to say it but the Walker was Sam Colts first venture into making a large .44 caliber handgun and mistakes were made.

Most folks who know something about C&B pistols are familiar with the falling loading lever on the Walker.

Among the other things that could stand improvement are the shape of the cylinder locking notches and the fact that there is no "cap relief" in the recoil shield.

The absence of a cap relief can cause the cap fragments to jam in between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield causing the gun to bind up.

All of these problems were addressed when the various Dragoon pistols were designed and introduced however those of you who own a Walker will just have to do as the people back in 1847 did. They learned to live with the guns faults and make the best of it. :(

......and it's all part of the game! :grin:

Zonie said:

Some times you just gotta take the bad with the good! I've found that using 50-52 grains instead of MAX charges does help some with cap problems. Tilting the revolver nose up also helps, but once in a while you'll get a cap stuck to the hammer or one will slip down and prevent the hammer from striking the cap on the nipple by a few thousands of an inch as the hammer molds it as it strikes, sorta like a penny gettin' run-over by a train :haha: .

Carrying a folding open assist knife to the firing line saves time & aggravation, since 99% of all cap problems can be cleared with the knife and a flick of the wrist :wink: :grin: .

Thanks for posting Jim.

Dave

Couldn't agree more. I have an ASM Walker and 3rd Model Dragoon. Reduced loads help dramatically.

I have several Walkers. In fact today I shot almost 100 rounds through one of them. I use #10 CCI caps. It is rare I have a jambing problem. When I was young I used to load them to the hilt. Now that I am old, I load 40 Gr 3F Goex and have a blast. As with most Colts, my Walkers shoot a bit high but I just compensate. They group very well. (I dare anyone to stand in front of me at 50 yds).Yes the loading lever sometimes falls down. I make a holder from a loop of leather thong to keep them in place and it is easily moved during loading.

Latest posts

Back