• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Defarbing Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried this with so-so success in the past. A smith has all of the RIGHT tools to do right and quickly. Worth the extra expense to me.

I agree! I've removed the writing on the barrel from a number of mine by using a mill file and carefully draw filing the areas that have the factory markings and legal disclaimers. Then use 400 grit metal sandpaper to remove the filing marks. Cold browning is straight forward if you follow directions. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did it yourself.

I never have defatted a barrel,don't have one that needs it now.post doing your work consider leaving barrel in white as that was common then,it do look nice.

Eric Krewson said:
I removed the writing from a green mountain barrel by lightly tapping the letters with a punch to close them and then draw filing the area.
Same here... Use flat punch to flatten out the lettering, then draw file till they are gone. A very simple process and very rewarding.
:v

I don't notice it my self,this is the 21st century,I don't mind seeing it. Each their own. I never want my gun mistakes for an original. Like wise I don't notice if it's been defarbed

In my case I had a time indexing the breech plug on a Green Mountain barrel, being a newbie and all. When I finally got it perfectly indexed with the top flat and a tight fit on the breech face I had the green mountain logo on one of the top oblique flats.

The rifle looked really good, I didn't want the logo showing so off it came.

I would have had to go 4 more flats to have the logo out of sight and I had had enough of fitting the breech plug.

You just might want to be sure to leave the serial number, if present, untouched. Proofing marks if it was proofed in Italy or another CIP proof house, you might want to leave alone too.

No serial number makes it hard to get it back to you if recovered after being stolen.

LD

I hope my customers don't defarb my name off the bbls.

Do what you will, but don't understand why defarbing a factory gun makes the gun "less factory"?.....Fred

flehto said:
Do what you will, but don't understand why defarbing a factory gun makes the gun "less factory"?.....
I'll agree with Fred. Taking the warnings off the barrel in no way transforms a production quality gun. They are entry-level guns, and other than a complete rebuild, very little will change their appearance and make them look less "factory".

Back