• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Defarbing a ML Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for someone who can defarb an octagonal barrel. Production guns, mostly, that would look better without markings. Any idea what cost would be per barrel?

If you have a file, and some sand paper you can do this yourself. If the stampings aren't too deep, you might start out with 80 grit and work down to 220. If the barrel is blued, you're going to have to blue the barrel again. But that's a pretty easy job, as well.

If you have a file, and some sand paper you can do this yourself. If the stampings aren't too deep, you might start out with 80 grit and work down to 220. If the barrel is blued, you're going to have to blue the barrel again. But that's a pretty easy job, as well.
I have certain limitations, as to hand strength and dexterity. A proper shop could take the markings of quickly. I can sand and polish. Then heavy browning.

I use a round steel punch, 1/8" perhaps, I use the punch and very light hammer taps to close up the lettering as much as I can, you have to go over the area a bunch of times. Once I have closed up the letters as much as they will go, I draw file off what remains and block sand the area with some 220 paper. It is a lot easier and quicker than it sounds.

Back