• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Defarbing a GPR....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zampilot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone done it? Was it a PITA or worthwhile? I'd like to brown my GPR but also would like to get rid of all those 'markings'. :thumbsup:

think he meens the barrel marks , like gpr stamped in barrel etc , you can file them off, but you going to void the warranty on it , but it well make the barrel look better .

Some of them are stamped pretty deep. Could leave an unsightley scallop in the barrel. It looks better when you draw file over it to take the crater edges off the stamping but I'd avoid going any deeper. Just my taste on the matter.

I've done a few CVA and Traditions and I think they look nicer.
Draw filing then sanding with a block using 220 is enough for a nice browning job, just keep the file clean so you don't get deep scratches.
Some of'm nowadays have some pretty deep stampings as said, they don't have to be completely gone to have a better looking barrel, but thats just me.

Sounds like a whole heap of work for not much return to me.

If I were to modify anything on a GPR it might be to remove the "fish belly" from the bottom of the stock. :hmm: Come to think about it, I kinda like that "fish belly". It keeps the gun from looking like "just another factory Hawken". :grin:

I agree. I've only seen "defarbing" done on military muskets. The idea of this procedure is to make a reproduction look just like an original and would include not only removing modern markings, but re-marking with the proper proofs, inspectors' marks, dates, &c. In most examples that I've seen of repro muskets, even some wood needs to be removed since most all of them have too thick a stock. No amount of defarbing is going to make a factory "Hawken" look like an original.

Not saying that it is the right or proper thing to do cause it does void the warranty but I have done it on a GPR with good results.I used BWC's rust and bluing remover and got rid of the bluing.Then I draw filed the stamping and followed with 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper to polish and prep for browning.It's not hard if you know how to draw file but it is time consuming and caution must be headed so as not to round the corners of the flats.I have also done it to a GP pistol kit because Lyman used the whole darn length of barrel for their stamping.

If it is like mine, it's way to deep of a stamp
to every get out.Maybe weld it up & working it back down :( .
Fly

Browning is probably not a bad idea to make it look less "factory" but the gun in general is not a bad rendition of a plains rifle of the 1840-60 period, I do not recall how deep the "garbage" is stamped so cannot comment on its removal.Overall it is probably a case of little return for the time invested, I heard one guy say he aplied LMF over the blueing on a factory gun and it worked well.

It took a bit of work but I defarbed my 63 Springfield. It did have Dixie GW on the tang and Japan next to the serial # on the left side of the barrel(it was in a stack with 2 1858 Enfields and a 61 Springfield and a visitor stated " I didn't know Japan made muskets for the Union"). The only thing left now is the Serial Number. I used a draw file then polished those areas up with differant grade of stones and honing oil. The .54 flint musket I got the european markings off the same way.

Yeah, I'm looking for a better looking gun, just a personal preference, better looking overall instead of as is filled with stamped and dot-matrix 'who made it's, 'read the manual' and 'black powder only's. On second thought, does anyone know someone who would be fooled into thinking it's an Original Hawken-type-maybe-not-we dont-see-many, send me his/her address and name. The perch-belly is a sure fire 'original' styling piece I bet.

Well, if you take all the markings off of the barrel, is it still a GPR? Sure it is and nothing wrong with that. If you find those markings offensive, sell the gun. I personally think it is kind of like taking all the markings off of a car, does it change that car into a ah say a Mercedes? No, it is still a good gun that was made by Lyman. I would work on other things like making shooting bags or even going to look at a custom build that you make. That wouldn't have any markings on it, except your name on the top barrel flat.

Though it might not fool anybody there's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to improve something a little and kind of "make it your own". I've done the same thing. You can re-blue or brown the barrel to a tone you may like better and even re-stain the stock. Fix'er up to suit you.
:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm looking for a better looking gun, just a personal preference

You could re-barrel it entirely either with a drop in or fashion your own barrel for it. That will improve the barrel outside and inside!

Having read the responses, and having worked over one GPR, I suggest you draw file and block sand to "de-emphasize" the factory markings, just working the raised portions down flush. A lot less work, and a lot less likely to mess up corners on flats and the match up with the tang piece.

I am pleased with the change in character realized by removing all the metal from the stock, stripping the blue with Brownell's blue remover, and refinishing with Laurel Mtn. Forge browning compound. In spite of the directions, I degreased with MEK or alcohol before applying the chemical solution. One of those long flat Wally Mart plastic boxes for storing things under a bed was used as a humidity chamber. Drove a pine plug into the muzzle, then supported barrel on plug and tang hook on two wood blocks. Applied chemical once a day for four days, rotated barrel 180 degrees a couple of times a day to even out distribution of the solution. Deactivated with baking soda solution, let sit several days, then warmed the barrel in the sun and rubbed in beeswax. Result has proven durable.

Did the same thing to the other metal parts, including the lock plate, hammer, and screws, but not the internals.

White Fox

'Nother thought: The climate in Boulder is semi-arid, and the stock wood dried out some, resulting in the nose cap loosening enough to rattle. I mixed up a bit of Acra-Gel and bedded the cap to the wood.

I defarbed mine. It is a newer one with the computer dotted markings. They are not very deep. They filed off easily, but you will have to match up the whole barrel and refinish.

The main reason I defarbed mine was the fact that Investarms matched up the breechplug to barrel fit with a course emory cloth and the rest of the barrel was smooth. Looked terrible.

I did leave the serial number, but dont know why

If you have an earlier one with the deep stampings it will be harder to do

Bob

Just a thought...

Some states that classify BP rifles as firearms make it illegal to "deface" any firearm by removing ANY of the markings, not just serial no. It's also a crime to possess a "defaced" gun. If you ever go to sell a gun like that, you either limit its market or open up the next owner to a potential world of hurt. All it takes is one overzealous officer...

Back