• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deerstalker Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playfarmers

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I told a friend of this hunt, and he thought I should post it here. This happened a few years back.
The first year with my new Lyman Deerstalker was looking pretty grim. I had hunted hard for 3 weeks and had missed the only 2 Deer close enough to shoot at. The last day of the season was bitter cold, and I had little hope. My hunting partner went still hunting in a river bend, and I set up on the edge of a good escape trail. I had only been there about 20 min when I spotted a huge buck charging through the thick willows toward me. I couldn't get a clear shot, so I waited until he was close then stepped out from behind a tree into the trail in front of him. He looked right at me and turned on the after-burners. Charging right at me! I shot him when he was at 12 feet, the .490 ball pushed by 80g of Pyrodex struck him in the neck and travelled up the center of his spine. He slid on the snow hitting a fallen tree at my feet, shaking it. He then tried to lift his head but expired on the spot. I started to shake after it was all over, realizing that he would have gone right over me had I missed.
This beautiful buck dressed out at 210 pounds.
Larrynbuckmini.jpg

Good buck AND story! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting.

I thought that stuff only happened with water buffalo , grizzlies & wild boar & critters like that... :grin:

Outstanding buck. Great story, too. Looks like a very big body?? What ya figure he weighed.

snagg

snagg said:
Looks like a very big body?? What ya figure he weighed.

snagg
gee snagg, not being very good at this especially from a pic ..... I'd say right about 210 POUNDS.. :rotf:
playfarmer, good story and really nice buck! thanks fer sharing... CEPT...seems like there'd be a "holy bleep" in that story somewhere.. :blah: thanks again RC

RC, At first i couldn't figure what you meant, went back and re-read the post and that's when I saw it. Wow. I really hate when I do that. Sorry guy!! :redface:
But ya know, it was only 4:23 in the A.M. and Monday mornin ta boot. :grin:

snagg said:
But ya know, it was only 4:23 in the A.M. and Monday mornin ta boot. :grin:
:rotf: see what that extra 25 minutes will do fer ya! ( :hmm: time diff atween yer post and mine....hehehe!) figured ya overlooked it..see that buck fever ain't jes out in the wild,we gets shooked up whenever we's seen one! have a good one! RC

Playfarmers,
Good Buck and Great Hunting story!!You just can't beat those Big Canadian Whitetails! :hatsoff:

Wow, nice deer and a great story. I"ve never shot a deer in self-defense!

-SHOOEY!

Great buck and a excellent story. I had a doe once run past me so close, I pushed her away from me with the butt stock of the rifle. Sometimes I think they just charge blind almost..

Back