• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer skin for wallets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to make more of my gear although at this point it is all new and learning.

I'll be getting some deer skin from Tandy in the next few weeks, described as 1.5 to 2 ounce thickness. I assume that is rather thin and pliable. Does anyone know if this would be appropriate for things like flint or small tool wallets? Any other items to make from it? Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks, Jeff

also remember it is going to stretch some, what seems like a snug fit can become very loose after a bit of use

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Just what I needed to know. Turns out my wife has some ideas for small items with the deer skin as well. With the skins on sale, it makes for a cheap learning curve. :grin:

Jeff

Birdman said:
also remember it is going to stretch some, what seems like a snug fit can become very loose after a bit of use

Love that feature. My elk (a deer) hide britches still fit after 30 years of use. They are very kindly growing with me. :grin:
BTW, soft and tough. The most comfortable garment I own, or ever have owned besides my own hide.

Bought some to make a plains style umbiacal cord bag.Very thin can sew it like cloth.Used some strips cut to wrap a barrel on to a stock untill I got pins in and tang screw.It would tear like tissue if pulled to tight.I would be careful about any thing heavy in it

tenngun said:
Bought some to make a plains style umbiacal cord bag.Very thin can sew it like cloth.Used some strips cut to wrap a barrel on to a stock untill I got pins in and tang screw.It would tear like tissue if pulled to tight.I would be careful about any thing heavy in it

Great points. I'll add a few more:

When sewing you have to be careful to keep your stitches a consistent "tightness," or they pucker all over the place and look like heck.

Dont' use a stretchy thread. Same kind of pucker issue. I prefer waxed linen, but there are probably others.

I prefer the small Size 3 "glovers" needles to my usual blunt harness needles that require an awl. The glovers version has a sharp point and triangular cross section that allows you to sew without prepunching. Good thing to do though, is to sharpen the three flats and point with a fine stone before sewing. But know that the #3's require a pretty thin thread and a little grunting to get it started through the needle eye. The larger size #1 will make you a lot happier if you're using heavier thread.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. When I showed them to my wife, she went to her sewing cabinet and pulled out a selection of glover's needles. She also interpreted the other instructions. Learned the appropriate thread is available locally. Now I just have to receive the deer skin.

No chance I'll make any britches! At my size (believe me, you don't want to know) the number of deer or elk required would put them on the endangered species list. :haha:

If nothing else, I'm sure to amuse the wife with my efforts. But learning/mistakes is part of the fun.

Jeff

Sounds like you're right on course. I've become really hooked on Crawford waxed Irish linen thread for most of my finer leatherworking. I use 4-ply for most jobs but 2- or 3-ply for thin leathers and fine stitches. Dandy stuff available from lots of sources in addition to the one I linked. I'm on the road and ran out, but just found some yesterday in the bookbinding section of a local art supply store.

Lotta other brands around too, but I haven't found anything close to the Crawford for fine work.

BrownBear said:
Sounds like you're right on course. I've become really hooked on Crawford waxed Irish linen thread for most of my finer leatherworking. I use 4-ply for most jobs but 2- or 3-ply for thin leathers and fine stitches. Dandy stuff available from lots of sources in addition to the one I linked. I'm on the road and ran out, but just found some yesterday in the bookbinding section of a local art supply store.

Lotta other brands around too, but I haven't found anything close to the Crawford for fine work.

If it's Irish it's gotta be good :thumbsup:

Back