• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer-motor vehicle collisions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
5 accidents in last 48 hours in 2 S.Carolina counties and the county in N.Carolina I live in that borders those 2. serious injurys to driver/ passenger in 3 of them.
so let's get those these smokepoles ready to make meat for the freezer and skillet! :thumbsup: and perform a public service.

See if the projectile is big enough, velocity doesn't need to be very high. :surrender:

I could'nt agree with you more! Iv'e totaled two cars in the span of five years due to hitting deer. :(

Blizzard,
I know there has to be a site somewhere
that shows car/deer accidents by state. And I would guess Ohio,Pennsylvania,or Michigan would
be at the top of the list.Especially from the
end of Oct. to the end Nov. I personally know
of a lady that hit, killed and destroyed two
vehicles in a week while traveling East on IS70
East of Reynoldsburg/Columbus,Ohio in the middle
of Nov about 5 years ago.
My way to work is on a semi-residential road
that is about 2 miles long and there is one
deer/crossing sign on the way to work as I
go East and two as I return home driving West.Speed limit is 35 and there are I would
guess at least 1 deer/car accident during the rut
per week on that one streatch of road.
I really think that the permits we are
allowed are goverend by Insurance Co more so than
the DNR.As the saying goes
"Money talks and:bull:walks! Wanna guess who has
more money????
snake-eyes :hmm:

In NC last year, it was over 15,000...Back in the 70s it was about 700...More folks, less habitat...
We are squeezing them out, just like the Native Americans...Dang I'm glad I wasn't born in the next century.... :(

In addition, I read on a NC board that 70% of deer hunters will not kill does...On another board, I was jumped on when I suggested a member kill more does...Guy said he didn't eat it, only wanted to kill big bucks...

NC has unlimted doe tags this year, I've already killed 3 with the bow and have 5 more waiting for gun season...

Well I saw a sad sight the other day. Ten Beta, one of the bucks I've been hunting a couple of years now had grown into a 140 + class animal this year. He showed up the other night and his appearance shocked me. Heavily limping, I was shocked to see his left main beam had been broken off just past his G3 tine on that side. His right side was broken at the G5. So the beautiful rack he had a month ago is for the most part destroyed. I got a good long look at him and he doesn't appear to have any broken bones or open wounds, visable anyway. My first thought was that he got into a fight with one of the other bucks but I'm sure only a car/truck could have done that amount of damage to his rack. :(

That buck will probably have a struggle to survive the winter, if his injuries don't get him killed first, and unfortunatly, if he does survive,his healed injuries will greatly affect the antlers he grows from now on! to further the subject, In northern Illinois where my dad still farms,deer kills are highest from vehicles, their so thick that he has to have someone walk out in front of the combine just to harvest the corn out of the fields cause the deer bed right in the fields and don't want to move.

Bad situation, we all like too hunt deer but they are a hazard too drivers.
Afew weeks ago a friends son in his late 20`s swerved too miss a deer on his motorcycle lost control and hit a sign. Broke both legs and his back, they said a five percent chance he`ll walk again :( that makes me want too shoot every deer i see. Just too many people anymore for the wildlife, wish i had an answer :(

one of my riding buddys had a large doe jump off a bank onto him and his M/C in August in W. Virginai, serious injury required 2 surgerys but he can walk now. my neighbor rides a Harley, he hit a doe 3 years ago on a Georgia state road - not bad hurt as he saw the deer in the road and managed to slow, and one of my sister's friend that used to ride hit one in Georgia on U.S. 76 in Union county, in a coma for 2 months, but is out of wheelchair now.
I have deer whistles on my motor, and plan to upgrade to better ones.

Sorry too hear that about your friends, things is we can`t quit doing what we like too do. I`ve been riding since i was ten and have never hit a deer though i have come close too a couple the last couple years.
Accidents are just that and we can`t stop them from happening all we can do is be careful and pray for those that are involved in one.

I've heard that those "deer whistles" are a big scam, and I'm inclined to believe it. If they will jump out in front of a big noisy cummins diesel with bright lights, how is a whistle supposed to keep them at bay?

I was told by a Tennessee TWRA officer that pressure from car insurance companies led to the three does per day quota in some Tennessee counties.

a horse ran across the road in front of my wife in the dark,she just missed the horse but whipped out a dirt bank and the cars front end...[does that count?] :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

Talked to a guy recently who said a few years ago his friend was driving too fast at night... deer came through vehicle windshield and killed the guy's wife.

Where I live there are lots of deer. Got to be careful all the time... had too many close calls already. :surrender:

snake-eyes said:
I know there has to be a site somewhere that shows car/deer accidents by state. And I would guess Ohio,Pennsylvania,or Michigan would be at the top of the list.

Michigan, 2005
58,741 reported accidents. 1,700 people injured, 9 people killed. They're deadlier than wolves. :wink:
[url] http://www.semcog.org/TranPlan/Safety/MDCC/assets/MTCF05_Deer2.pdf[/url]

-ktw

Last edited by a moderator:
Back