• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Day trips/hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTShooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, feel free to correct me.

I would like to work towards period clothing/equipment to add to the adventure. I have read the "gear I would take" thread and for multi-day trips I understand the gear list.

But what about the daily trip out hunting? How much powder/ball, assorted supplies would I be taking?

I'm trying to determine just how big does a hunting bag need to be vs a possible bag.

And then what would end up where? Hunting bag=range bag, possible bag for anything else?
My thinking is early 1800's, I'm not sure about the persona thing, so many people have told me I was born in the wrong century, even in 1818, I think I would pretty much still be me?

Thanks

I do the same thing, don't hunt but roam around and shoot, at least.

Big thing is that it depends on how much you want to shoot.

I take about 30 patches and round balls, fill up half a powder horn (honestly maybe a 1/4 pound? Like field flask amount). With a roll of fabric for cutting off wiping patches, a little bottle of solution for barrel wipes, a rag and short starter in the bag. A little wallet holds spare flints, turnscrew, and a bronze brush. I have my pan brush, pick, and antler measure tied to a loop on the hunting bag. Mine is larger, probably 8"x 8" and 2 or 3 in wide. Knife is on the strap.

In another bag - they are sold as 'haversacks' but we can call it an extra bag or whatever (JaS Townsend has a good one of natural linen) I take fire starting kit, some food (not PC yet), coffee, tin cup, modern first aid kit, spare socks, 10 feet of jute twine, another rag and some lye soap. I throw in other things I think I might need that day or want to munch on.

Canteen, too, and sometimes more in the extra bag.

Not sure what you'd need extra for hunting.

A day hunting for me would be 1-2 shots 3 if things go bad.

I just started hunting with a gun, bow only up till now.

I only hunt deer and turkey and I have gotten to if it doesn't fit in my pocket or belt, it stays home.
I can just walk out my door and into the woods to hunt, for the most part a couple of miles from home max, sort of how it would have been back in the day I imagine.

You'd need less than I carry, I would imagine. I have found that having more room to carry things ends up having more than necessary. This is evolved from day hikes rather than hunting trips. Adding a blanket and a belt axe to the kit, and this could turn into an overnighter in fair weather. I usually don't walk too far and end up staying somewhere and shooting.

We aren't allowed to over nite in the kings woods.

Isn't funny how history always repeats itself...

Well, you need to answer a lot of questions for the best advice.

1. How far away from home will you be? If you drive to your hunting place, how far away from your vehicle will you be?

2. What kind of terrain and climate you plan on hunting?

3. Are you going to carry "modern stuff" along with the ML Gun or are you going strictly HC/PC?

4. Is someone else going to be there with you?

5. How important is ensuring the gun will shoot both the first and a second shot to you?

6. Is hunting for meat or sport, or do you actually survive off of what you hunt?

I don't mean to be critical or flip, but these factors are important.

Gus

Well, part of the question is, what are you trying to "experience", and are you trying to accomplish anything beyond harvesting game?

:hmm:

For example, you will dress in historic styled clothing using historic type fabrics. OK good, so this is to enhance your experience, so you are going for a pleasingly aesthetic event. Nothing wrong with that. :wink:

You could also...,

..., be checking out the old style clothing, to a) get used to using it "in the field"and checking..., does it bind, is it warm enough, is it durable enough..., how to apply it (you should try a match coat before you need a match coat - for example) ...., b) or to weather it so that when at an event it doesn't look like you just bought everything ten minutes ago....

The same is true for the gear..., you could simply carry stuff for a simple day hunt, the minimum, just to sort of "step back in time". On the other hand you might carry extra stuff to again, see how to properly carry it. Does it chafe? Does it make noise? Does it weigh too much? Does it look too new and you don't want to artificially age it? Did you find you needed something in addition to what you had or need to delete something from your list?

NOW..., You might carry a full load with a tumpline /blanket-pack, to..., use the day hunt as an opportunity to train in carrying your stuff for a 3 to 4 day trek. Again, to see if it makes too much noise, is it too heavy, does it chafe, etc etc...

You also might carry a full load if your day hunt is a bit out in the boonies, and if you have an accident that prevents you from departing before night or reaching your car or cabin, you might spend a tolerable night in the woods, instead of being miserable or worse.... :shocked2:

I carry my shooting bag. It's set up for a good long time in the woods, because I'm one of those that benefits from keeping things simple. I use the same bag and horn for the same rifle, whether I go to the range, on a day hunt, or overnight(s) some place.

I carry a day-pack, a snapsack with stuff I need to drag a deer from the woods, plus some food and water, and a first aid kit and cell phone in case of an emergency. There have been times that I carried a full tumpline, to check my load, and the durability of some new gear, as I'd rather it "failed" and didn't spoil a day hunt, instead of it failing a day or two out on the trail, and really messing up the situation.

I also admit that there have been times in damp or snowy/slushly weather on a day-hunt that I took a wooden, folding stool with me (period correct - because that's what I own) as I was stiff and sore from the day before, and felt like it..., :grin: If I didn't own the stool...., I'd probably would've taken a 5 gallon bucket and inverted it to sit upon.

LD

I guess I'm looking for a simpler life in general.

No cell phone or power wouldn't bother me a bit, a lot more involved then just hunting.

I'll just let this go.

I found this post by Colorado Clyde
"Very true! But it is also much more than that.....
whether I start my wood stove using a flint and steel, wear just my felt hat when hunting, drink my coffee from a tin cup, use a capote as a housecoat/snuggy, read by candle light when I don't have to, cook a 18th century recipe, curl up on the couch with a wool blanket, etc...... It all connects us to the past and brings a simple enjoyment to whatever it is.... "

I think this pretty much sums up what I'm feeling.

It's not just about hunting, it's about living.

I guess I'm looking for a simpler life in general.

There Ya Go!

So take just the minimum that you need to have a good time, and see what else comes your way while out....since you're hunting with a traditional rifle or smoothbore, you should go slow, or sit and see what comes by. There are lots of cool things to find and/or see in the woods you will come across or pass by, while hunting.

Something the size of a havesack would suit you, and a shooting bag with some basic tools, and a few ball, or several loads of shot.

LD

SgtErv said:
I do the same thing, don't hunt but roam around and shoot, at least.

Big thing is that it depends on how much you want to shoot.

I take about 30 patches and round balls, fill up half a powder horn (honestly maybe a 1/4 pound? Like field flask amount). With a roll of fabric for cutting off wiping patches, a little bottle of solution for barrel wipes, a rag and short starter in the bag. A little wallet holds spare flints, turnscrew, and a bronze brush. I have my pan brush, pick, and antler measure tied to a loop on the hunting bag. Mine is larger, probably 8"x 8" and 2 or 3 in wide. Knife is on the strap.

In another bag - they are sold as 'haversacks' but we can call it an extra bag or whatever (JaS Townsend has a good one of natural linen) I take fire starting kit, some food (not PC yet), coffee, tin cup, modern first aid kit, spare socks, 10 feet of jute twine, another rag and some lye soap. I throw in other things I think I might need that day or want to munch on.

Canteen, too, and sometimes more in the extra bag.

Not sure what you'd need extra for hunting.

Some of the original/period shot pouches were so small because they did not hunt far from the house. I am pretty convinced these were the ones that survived the years because they were not used on a daily basis and hung inside most of the time, even during the period they were in use.

Your's is a pretty good list, though for hunting, you probably would not need that many balls. Good idea on the lye soap. Do you have a ball screw, I.E. ball puller in your kit?

I carry a couple other things that some/many people don't. One is a "cow's knee" to put over the flintlock lock during rain/snow. Another is my Grandfather's WWI Brass Sergeant's Whistle, when hunting alone. Though not HC/PC, the idea is to blow a series of three blasts, in case of emergency and I can not get out. (You can not shoot three quick shots to signal an emergency with a ML gun.) Oh, I also carry a Corpsman's/Medic's/First aid Triangular Bandage for First Aid or a multitude of other reasons.

Gus

P.S. I also carry a few disinfectant wipes in little packages. Though not PC, I can use them to clean my hands before I eat or after cleaning game.

I'll give you a little of my back round, it might make more sense.

My first "education" was a book I read as a kid "My side of the mountian" about a kid going out and learning to survive in the wilderness.

Since then I have pretty much focused on having those life skills.

I grew up on the forest, I am more comfortable taking a nap under a tree in the middle of nowhere then walking down any street.
I have only hunted with a stick bow, and I only use turkey feather fletching on self nock arrows.
I was an instructor at a wilderness survival school.
I have done long term(treks) hikes, canoe trips, and would perfectly happy taking a small bag and my rifle and walking off into the wilderness to never be seen again.
My "portable drill" is a 100 year old brace and bit set.

Where I am lacking is the education on that particular period of time.
Thanks

I do have a ball puller and patch worm in the flint and tool kit. I try not to use the former anymore, and try to shoot out dry balls.

Lye soap - sanitatary purposes mainly.

CT Shooter, you might want to peruse "Frontier Rifleman." It's a good book that gets you oriented to other sources and contains a lot of graphics. "Recreating the American Longhunter" is another one in the same vein. I use secondary sources like these to find primary sources. Museums are a good place to learn, too.

I like having enough powder and ball "Just In Case" like a running fight back to the truck or maybe forting up in fallen timber. You never know.

I say this "tongue in cheek" but.... :hmm:

Back