• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davis Deerslayer Set Triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have several TC Hawken rifles with the TC set triggers. They seem to work fine. Is the Davis Deerslayer Set Triggers an improvement? Will I be able to feel the difference? What is different?

Oh ya.
Yes.
Better machineing with better temper to the metal, fit, polish and balance.
(Geometery's just gotta have something to do with it)
It all lends to a light feel and crisp break that just can't be found no matter what you do to the T/C or Lyman trigger
You don't have one yet?

It's especially an improvement when you're using the front trigger without setting the rear one, which is often the case when things happen fast on a hunt rather than standing on a range. I've never seen a TC or Lyman trigger that can match them right off the bat. You can tune the heck out of a Lyman or TC and come sorta close, or you can slap on the Deerslayer and have a great trigger without the hassles.

Another plus for me and my addled brain, the rear trigger of the Davis is a completely different shape than the front one and set well back in the guard. There's no tendency for me to grab the wrong trigger when I'm in a hurry, which is always my problem with both TC and Lyman.

They work great for me, but it's your $40.

The Thompson Center Hawken trigger is better than the Lyman GPR trigger. But the Davis trigger is better than either. That said you wouldn’t see as much improvement putting it on your TC. I don’t think any amount of “polishing” on a TC or Lyman trigger will make it feel like a Davis.
One easy thing you can do to a TC trigger is use a Dremel with a small drum sander and take the rounded feel from the front trigger. I make them as flat as I can. It changes the whole feel of the trigger. You don’t even have to remove it from the gun.

While many prefer the davis I am content with the T.C. triggers that I have after polishing them and fine tunning them. But then I am an old man who shoots offhand . Not a young man with good eyes shooting off a bench! :hmm: :hmm:

+3!

On My renegades and hawken TCs.

The davis trigger, as delivered, with NO tuning, is better than TC or Lyman.

Roundball has tuned TC triggers, do a search. Maybe, you can get them like a Davis?

But I can't see things much better than the Davis. Although, I'd upgrade a Lyman/Investarm with a (free) TC triggers assy, As the Davis is cheaper to buy........

Oh, yes a TC lock is a nice upgrade to a Lyman.......

BB. That too. front trigger has less creep and is better hunter friendly .

I still hate the click, when you set the trigger.

Somebody said , maybe RB?, pull the hammer back when you set the trigger. ?????? Don't blame me or RB...........

Red-Wing said:
How about a T/C New Englander ???

Nope, at least not a drop in. The mortice for the single trigger units is different.
The single is a guard and trigger all together. The front tang screw is actually a through stock bolt that fit's into the front of the trigger guard, and I believe that even if the mortice was relieved to fit the Davis trigger the triggers are in the way of that bolt.
Then a trigger guard would need to be added.

A couple of questions on the Davis trigger. I plan on ordering one tomorrow for my Renegade.

Has anybody measured the trigger pull of the front trigger when it's not set?

On the TC trigger, it's a hard pull setting the rear trigger. Is the Davis any easier?

No, I was talking about the lb pull on the front trigger when it's unset.

I find it way too sensitive when hunting when it's set.. So, i'd like to hunt with it unset. The TC trigger is kind of stiff to use unset and too sensitive set. I'm hoping the Davis will cure that problem.

That's the best news of all with the Davis trigger. In all guns that I've installed it on, the front trigger is so good I don't even need to set the rear trigger. I do sometimes from the bench, but considering how little time I spend sitting at a bench.........

There is no instance where the Davis isn't better.

IMG_4865.jpg

That was tough finding one. Davis and TOW were out. I finally found one at Dixons.

Anybody thinking of buying one. Try Dixons. Otherwise Davis said about 3-4 weeks.

Back