• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daughters first ML deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp Buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My daughter got a spike buck yesterday evening with my Lyman GP 54 cal percussion muzzleloader.

After hunting at camp and behind the house during the regular rifle season with no luck, and still being bound and determined to get a deer this year, she wanted to try hunting with a muzzleloader. She has shot the muzzleloader several times before but never hunted with it before.

Anyway, on the 4th evening of hunting with the muzzleloader, a spike buck came in and she made a perfect shot at about 15-20 yards. The buck ran about 30 yards before dropping. The 54 cal roundball did its job.

What made it even more enjoyable was the fact that I was sitting with her when she got it.

Congratulations to her!

I bet you were both smiling(in the picture) for that one.

Got to love a gal with determination.

I guess Dad will have to buy a new rifle for her..

way to go how old is she? I want to take my daughter to hunt when she is 10 and has the safety class. My oldest boy took his first deer at age 11 we had hunted small game prior to this.

Nice! Good for her sorry she didn't get one in regular rifle season but it just wasn't ment to be. This makes it more better. :wink: :thumbsup:

She is 18 yrs old right now. This was her 8th deer. The other deer were taken with a rifle.

I was proud of her determination - the temperatures ranged this week from 18 deg to 9 deg while we were hunting. At least we had about 6-8 inches of snow.

I do think she was the most excited about shooting this deer with the muzzleloader. This was a 15-20 yard shot with open sights and not a 85 yard shot or more with a scoped rifle.

I could tell she had a massive adrenaline dump after the shot was taken. As deer hunters - we have all experienced this. Her breaths were short and choppy and she told me her heart was just pounding.

I hope you have the same experience with your kids.

Back