• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dandy .58 on A.A.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

www.auctionarms.com

item #6037656
is a .58 with Green River barrel in 1:66", nice walnut stock
percussion starting at $495, no bidders and 7 hours left.
i can't believe this ones getting away.
Take a look, comments? What's wrong with it? What I'm I missing?

Parts list sounds good Maxi.....but the proportions just dont "click" for me in the photo's. "ramshorn nose cap" is a new idea to me too....dont recon I've ever encountered one before on a Hawken style gun. I'm no expert, but the long rear sight setup don't look right either. Wrist is too short...shaping of the wood around the lockplate is wrong for a late percussion lock.....looks more for a flinter to me.........well, you asked.....

I'm with you Maxiball, it's a nice gun for the money. I don't mind a bit of "folk art" on a gun, if it's done well. I'd rather have a gun like this than a mail order "off the shelf" gun.

I agree the thing isn't 100% p.c.
Who cares.
My point is the parts are solid and well made, the wood is pretty, the sights are definately adjustable and so on.
I'd venture to say there are damned few p.c. correct rifles that would stand up to a jury!
I'm not a jury.
The A.A. rifle is a solid gun for the money if the pictures are accuarate and the condition is as good as depicted.
As far as the rams head nose cap, I'm sure the old time gunmakers woulda poured one if the customer had the $$$$$$$.
One wonders how many original were modified and decorated by the owners. Does that make them "less" period correct.
Hell NO! No for me.
This rifle is not represented as PERIOD CORRECT. It's represented as an elk rifle.
I think this period correct [censored] :bull: has gotten real anal.
I call my three flinters period correct. Why? 'Cause they are to me. They are close enough copies and handmade enough to suit me.
The only period correct makes died 150 years ago!
We've gotten way to anal retentive about this period correct virus and forgotten the "period spirit"! :curse: :curse:
There! That orta stir some comments!
I'll get of my soapbox now. I'm goin' fishin' :redthumb:.

I think it's a good deal for that money- you can't even buy the part for hat price.
; The wrist is a bit humpy, but could be repaired. All alse I can easily overlook. Other than that, I think you've done very well indeed.

"I think you've done very well indeed."
Really??? I didn't mean to! I bid on the thing because......er,,,,, well...... well, because I did.
I don't want it. Somebody else raise the bid 5 bucks, pleeeease!

I'd like to help you out but I've already got top bid on item #6044498

I reckon it's worth a $900 so I keep bidding $600 every time he lists it, hoping I can wear him down ::

Robin:
Re: #6044498
WOW. Neat pistol. I've seen this a couple times before and I think maybe you are one of the few that know what the thing is and what it's worth.
Maybe he'll take the 600. I think it's a bargain at that.

O K Maxi, so I'm anal retentive. I just took you at your word and answered what you asked. I dont offer you credentials as either a builder or broker, but I will not contribute just to be abused by you or anyone else. It's not my fault that you bid on it and expect me to ooooh and aaaah over your judgement. Maybe it's just the chemo or radiation talking, but i dont need the abuse. I came here in good conscious to try and help a few beginners along the path. Thanks for the heads-up on where i'm wanted. b-b-bye n-now!

Maybe he'll take the 600. I think it's a bargain at that.

Do you think he might? He doesn't take the 72 hour haggle option after the auction ends "reserve not met", but there's always hope. I think he might have a big reserve on it so I don't want to appear too keen and press the haggle button myself ::

The gun is by C H Weston who are still trading under that name about 10 miles along the coast from here.

I have not seen the gun being hashed over but the following does interest me.."We've gotten way to anal retentive about this period correct virus and forgotten the "period spirit"!

I wonder how concerned all of the folks who are so into the "spirit" of things are about "spirt" that drove those who lobbied and got ML hunting seasons started 30 or 40 years ago. I think the survey pretty much tells the story as to which way the wind blows on this forum, the amount of time in the sport is usually a pretty good barometer of how "PC" or "traditional" is viewd.

...nahhhhhhhhh...it would take me too long to get all that old tired looking iron stuff shined up like the brass furniture on my rifles!
:: :: ::

I don't care if the gun is period correct or not. I bought her to put deer on the ground. I'v been stalking AuctionArms and Gunbroker for the last year waiting for a custom .58 cal to pop up. I almost bought a TC .58 Hawken a few months back on Gunbroker,but someone used the buy now option on me first.
Now I'm glad that person did. If this rifle shoots as good as it looks on paper, I'll be a very happy camper.

Hey maxi, I was going to bid sooner, but wanted you to sweat for a while.

Stoney:
Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantasic! :applause: :applause:
I'm glad you got 'er. Heck of a deal. The parts alone would cost much more than you paid for that beauty. A factory made Autstin and Halleck cost more than that and it's not half the rifle you got.
I'm happy for ya. ::
From what I gathered from e-mailing the seller the rifle was never intended to be p.c.
The ONLY really p.c. rifles I know of in todays world are made in Colonial Williamsburg. All hand made, the barrels forged around a mandrel on a forge like they were for hundreds of years, the barrels straightened by hand and eye in a hand powered press.
Now you gotta let us know how she shoots.

Don't know if you were responding directly to me or just next in line but don't worry about PC with me...I'm not at that point...still a TC Hawken fan...PC circa 1970's
:: ::

roundball:
Please take well meant advice. Don't get caught in taking ANYTHING here personally.
As humans, it's sorta human nature to "read between the lines" and find meaning where there isn't any.
No where in this thread was there an attack on any one person, yet some took it that way.
I, nor you, nor anyone else can predict how someone will react to the printed word.
Think about it. We have one Christian Bible, and it's INTERPRETED a million ways and we have literally thousands of orgainized religions and every one of 'em believe "WE ARE RIGHT". That phrase incidently has been shortened from "WE ARE RIGHT" to simply "W.A.R." or 'war' for short.
You get the idea.
In any event, reading between the lines and getting you're feelings hurt is silly.
I love the word 'silly', it's...well, SILLY. ::
I posted about this .58 rifle on A.A. in the hopes someone here would see it and get one heck of a bargain. And a bargain it is! :thumbsup: :redthumb:
Then we get bombarded with the dreaded "it ain't p.c."! Well who said it was????????
Someone always wants to try and pee on someones Wheaties.
Stoney got the rifle and got it for about one half what it's worth.
You shoot T.C. I said Tee Cee, not pee-cee, rifles. ( I saw your web addy, NICE photo)
Now just what is wrong with that?
I saw your deer on the ground, your Tee Cee's are certainly effective hey?
And a flinter too boot. ::

Back