• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damp climate rust prevention

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of us who live in damp climates, how do you keep the rust off your weapons?

I have been fighting with surface rust around the nipple on my percussion rifle and cannot seem to find that magic bullet (pardon the pun) to keep rust from forming. It is just light surface rust, but it bugs the manure out of me. Been cleaning it up and after a week or so in storage, it returns to haunt me once more.

Trying to find something that will keep the rusties at bay while not being really greasy. Or is that not possible? I can goop some bore butter or whatever around the area and wipe off when I go out to shoot, but I am wanting to please that lazy part of me and use something that does not require a massive rub down all the time.

Since the rust is confined to the nipple area of your rifle, I'm going to guess that it is not being sufficiently cleaned when you clean your rifle. You need to remove the nipple and scrub the area with a toothbrush and some soapy water to get rid of all of the fouling from the caps. Once you have the area thoroughly cleaned, you need to make sure that all water has been removed. Simply wiping it dry is not sufficient. I use a spray of WD-40 after wiping it dry to get rid of the last bit of moisture. I spray inside the bore as well as on the outside of all of the metal parts. Then I remove all of the WD-40 with dry patches and a rag before applying a coat of Birchwood-Casey's Barricade to the bore and outside of my rifle. It is important to remove all of the WD-40 because it has done its job of removing the last traces of moisture and you need to get rid of it so you can apply a product containing a rust inhibitor. I have also used paste wax to coat the outside of the rifle to protect the metal from rust and it works pretty well, too, even thought it contains no rust inhibitors. But, your best bet is to use a product that contains a rust inhibitor. Many people like to use WD-40 as a rust preventive. It is not a rust preventive, it is a water displacer. Hence, the designation WD in the name. My personal preference for rust prevention is Barricade. I store my guns in a gun safe that has a Golden Rod humidity control device to keep the humidity level in my gun safe down. I am also looking at a product called Frog Lube. I have limited experience with it so far but it does look promising.....and it does smell good.

I thought I was cleaning up well, may have to revisit my methods. The bore is nice and clean with no rust forming, just the outside that is giving me troubles.

Will try the WD-40.

I have wiped down with WD40 with no problems but keep in mind I live in a very dry climate. I'm talking single digits in the summer and usually the teens in the winter.

A dirty and or wet gun will rust regardless of what rust preventative you use
Describing how you clean your gun in detail would be helpful.
condensation can often occur in basements, and objects will draw moisture from basement floors.
an object stored in a basement should be at least 2 feet off the floor.
The bolster area is subject to corrosion from blackpowder and the caps.

Once truly clean and dry I often buff the bolster area with a stiff beeswax/olive oil mixture.

My cleaning is about the same and oil with barisol. The ozarks stays a might moist, So about a week after cleaning I run a patched greased with an animal fatdown the bore and then grease the exposed barrle lock trigger and iron mountings. Leave them for a day ot two then wipe with a dry patch.

I live across the road from the beach and my rifles have been copping it so I bought a canvas rifle sleeve from TOTW and soaked it in WD40 to make a kind of oilskin. Lanolin spray would work as well if not better. I wipe on a light coat of Hoppes gun grease to store it then put it in the sleeve. Seems to have done the trick.

I live on the Gulf coast and it can be 95 degrees with 95% humidity and I have found that you REALLY have to pay attention cleaning your rifle and putting down a good coat of oil (I use Barricade) I also check the bore 3 or 4 days later to make sure everything is good and to run another patch of Barricade down. I use RIG gun grease for long term (1 month or better) storage. If you have a square groove rifle you really have to give the bore a good coat because sometime the patch won't get in the corners of the grooves.

95 degrees with 95% humidity

That just ain't right :shake: I'd die gettin to the mailbox! I was born in Indy and recall the horrible trips back to visit relatives in the summer. Will never live somewhere the shade don't work again!!

I run a dehumidifier. I try to keep it around 40% or lower. That and reg maintenance takes care of things. Larry

Gave it another cleaning with more attention to the exterior this time. One thing that occurred to me is that I am shooting triple seven and mag caps when I was shooting black powder and regular caps previously. May have to up the scrub time when dealing with those products.

Mags are all I could find within a 100 mile radius of my house and black powder is a 2.5 hour drive away.

bilder said:
black powder is a 2.5 hour drive away.

Only 2.5 hrs? Heck, when I started in this BP game I did a 2,000 mile roundtrip on my m'sickle to get some powder (you don't have to be crazy - but it helps :wink: ).

Back