• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus blade knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
While at the Eastern I hosted my friend Kari from Finnland. He gifted me a hand made knife with a hand forged Damascus blade and Finnish birch handle. It took several hundred hours to hand make and is truly a work of art true to the era of hand made knives.

003_zps790a67fb.jpg

I consider it a true treasure from a true friend.

Impressive !!!

Always wondered how those blade's hold an edge ??? How thick is that blade ???

Ed.....

bpd303 said:
Damascus holds an edge better than any other knife steel, in my opinion. It is easier to sharpen too.

Damascus, or at least the type of damascus under discussion, isn't a steel, but a couple of different steels laminated together. How well it holds an edge and how easy it is to sharpen is going to depend entirely on what kind of steels were used to make it.

Not only that, but if the better edge holding steel in a particular Damascus blade is used as a mono steel blade, it will hold an edge better than the Damascus, assuming the heat treat, edge geometry, and testing is all fair and equal. The Damascus edge is composed of at least two different steels with one of them the dominating factor in edge retention. The other will dull first leaving less edge surface to cut with. The Damascus would sharpen easier for the same reason. One of the steels is going to be less resistant to the stone. It is pretty though.

:bow: nice knife,Kari makes
impressive looking hawks too,I enjoyed my talk with you ramrod.wife really liked your rotten apples and grape cider.have not done anything with the apples you gave me,i will. :hatsoff: :v

have always loved those Finnish designs...so practical and yet so simple!

Back