• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

damascus 12 ga side by side

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzman

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was given this shotgun as a gift. Does anyone know who made this shotgun? or when it was made. I can't find any name. Here is a photo of the proof marks.

20230104_111646.jpg

20230104_111731.jpg

20230104_111714.jpg

I'm going to say about 1853 for the barrels. They have a Liege Belgium stamp, which shows 1846 and after, an inspector stamp (crown over the N) which is 1853-1877, and the odd, script L which was used to note barrel had not been weakened after proof by breeching... NOTE how the line for the breech plug index is not aligned with the barrel. This was only used from 1852 to 1853 but the inspector mark didn't start until 1853, so that's where I got the date.

DAMASCUS BARREL MARKING .jpg

LD

Thank you for your help.

Does anyone have any idea as to the value of this shotgun? I have no intension of selling it buy I would like to know if I should insure it.

Thanks in advance.
20230105_145342.jpg

20230105_145323.jpg

IDK about a specific value, but if it were mine, I wouldn't bother with adding insurance. (YMMV)

So much depends on the maker and overall condition. I’m definitely not an appraiser but if the locks work and the barrels are good enough to shoot then I suspect $300-$400 at least. Now if a well know maker somewhat more.

not worth a whole lot to be honest, but it is a nice piece of history

I would be afraid to fire it. Old Damascus barrels scare me. I'd pull the nipples and turn it into a wall hanger.

I was told by 2 knowledgeable smith's there were droves of barrel makers, from the lower price skelp barrels to fine grade barrels used on some English Best guns.
My William Moore I started with 40grs ffg, and 60grs shot. I slowly moved up in charge until I reached 70grs of both powder and shot. I've took a few birds on the wing, pretty exciting really.
Good luck.

not worth a whole lot to be honest, but it is a nice piece of history

I would be afraid to fire it. Old Damascus barrels scare me. I'd pull the nipples and turn it into a wall hanger.
Before I loaded my WM I took it to a black powder Smith and he pronounced it safe. I also posted here asking how many shoot twist barrels. I got many positive responses.
But I don't load it for goose or duck.

YMMV

I have a Mortimer, and I have seen two others with the same trigger-guard/grip as that gun has. Mortimer was known to use that style. The straight hammers are close to my Mortimer references,

Could be a 'Mertimer', 'Pordey' or 'Buss' - Belgian guns were made and sold by the tens of thousands in Europe and North America by the many mail order companies around in those days and often used familiar names that were not quite right...

Sears, Roebuck had pages and pages of them, all 'fine twist Belgian-made, exceptional quality - our BEST gun' for around $12. Mind you, they also sold their 'VERY Best gun', and 'Our exceptional quality gun'.

You won't get a Caribbean vacation from selling it, but maybe a halfway decent meal for two at Big Ed's on Elgin in Ottawa.

I was told by 2 knowledgeable smith's there were droves of barrel makers, from the lower price skelp barrels to fine grade barrels used on some English Best guns.
My William Moore I started with 40grs ffg, and 60grs shot. I slowly moved up in charge until I reached 70grs of both powder and shot. I've took a few birds on the wind, pretty exciting really.
Good luck.

I would suggest that your William Moore is substantially better-made than the OP's Belgian gun. I shoot a matched pair of WMs from 1860-something in our vintage clay comps, with great lack of success - they look as though they might have been made any time in the last ten years, but the proud owner has the original receipts for them!

As years go by, original M/L shotguns' value are also rising. We're not likely to see hand engraving, embedded contrasting bands, hand checkering, etc. on newly-made, mass-produced shotguns ever again. Even if never shot, they are worthy of inclusion in a gun lover's cache.

There were excellent guns made in Belgium and junk. Same goes for every country.

Back