Quantcast

Damaged Chisel

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Okay, the dummy I am, I dropped a nice new chisel this morning and put a nice ding in the tip. What's the best way to fix that? Do I just keep sharpening it on a stone until I wear it away?

Bruce Bogart

40 Cal.
Reaction score
First you say naughty words, then you shed a few tears, then sharpen sharpen sharpen..... oh wait thats what I do. Never mind

jdkerstetter

69 Cal.
Reaction score
.....then you invest in some heavy rubber mats for the floor in front of your bench....and stop wearing flip-flops while gun building. :wink:

Enjoy, J.D.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I usually fix them starting at a really coarse stone depending on how bad it is and slowly work my way down. Made the mistake of deciding to grind one once.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
First off...my work area has a floor of a wooden platform. How one rids a chisel of a ding depends on how deep the ding is. Shallow dings can be stoned off, but a deeper ding requires grinding and plenty of water for cooling. I often grind chisels on a bench grinder and if enough water is used, the hardness of the chisel isn't affected......Fred

blackdog of vt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What Fred said, exept I go further and polish with 600 grit and strop on cotton webbing

nmdd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
"Yep" is how we say it in the south, I think "yup" is more of a northern pronunciation.... :rotf:

Sperit de bois

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Depends!! can you live/work with it if you sharpen it but not grind away to much tool??It's a chisel and you will more like as not sand or use other tools after it so,,,,,I would not grind off a months worth of metal just to have a perfectly smooth chisel/planner blade,a few sharpenings from now it will be gone,or you might even drop it again!!!!!!!
Then the cost of the tool,,if it is made in China/India throw it away.....

jdkerstetter

69 Cal.
Reaction score
perrybucsdad said:
How the hell did you know? :confused: :haha:
I've done that dance as a sharp tool falls through space. Quicker that a frog on a hot-plate. :wink: Enjoy, J.D.

necchi

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
nmdd said:
"Yep" is how we say it in the south, I think "yup" is more of a northern pronunciation.... :rotf:
Yup.
I'm suprised laffindog said anything! ?
Usually a Montanain would just look at you an nodd.

matt denison

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My mother, a true newEnglander would have said "ayeut" A friend from Down Under says "yip" Another friend from New Orleans says "yep" (real slow like) Arizona it is "yit"

After a few heart breaking accidents of having chisels and gravers hit the cement floor point first I have put flats on the handles of all of them to help keep them from rolling off the bench.

Another idea I have is to make the top of my bench a giant electro magnet so chisels, gravers, small lock parts (flys) etc. stick where you place them. Turn it off once in a while so you can sweep off the filings and grit. :rotf:

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
If you're going to use a chisel, you need to learn how to grind a chisel. :wink: