• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Damaged Chisel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay, the dummy I am, I dropped a nice new chisel this morning and put a nice ding in the tip. What's the best way to fix that? Do I just keep sharpening it on a stone until I wear it away?

First you say naughty words, then you shed a few tears, then sharpen sharpen sharpen..... oh wait thats what I do. Never mind

.....then you invest in some heavy rubber mats for the floor in front of your bench....and stop wearing flip-flops while gun building. :wink:

Enjoy, J.D.

I usually fix them starting at a really coarse stone depending on how bad it is and slowly work my way down. Made the mistake of deciding to grind one once.

First off...my work area has a floor of a wooden platform. How one rids a chisel of a ding depends on how deep the ding is. Shallow dings can be stoned off, but a deeper ding requires grinding and plenty of water for cooling. I often grind chisels on a bench grinder and if enough water is used, the hardness of the chisel isn't affected......Fred

"Yep" is how we say it in the south, I think "yup" is more of a northern pronunciation.... :rotf:

Depends!! can you live/work with it if you sharpen it but not grind away to much tool??It's a chisel and you will more like as not sand or use other tools after it so,,,,,I would not grind off a months worth of metal just to have a perfectly smooth chisel/planner blade,a few sharpenings from now it will be gone,or you might even drop it again!!!!!!!
Then the cost of the tool,,if it is made in China/India throw it away.....

nmdd said:
"Yep" is how we say it in the south, I think "yup" is more of a northern pronunciation.... :rotf:
Yup.
I'm suprised laffindog said anything! ?
Usually a Montanain would just look at you an nodd.

My mother, a true newEnglander would have said "ayeut" A friend from Down Under says "yip" Another friend from New Orleans says "yep" (real slow like) Arizona it is "yit"

After a few heart breaking accidents of having chisels and gravers hit the cement floor point first I have put flats on the handles of all of them to help keep them from rolling off the bench.

Another idea I have is to make the top of my bench a giant electro magnet so chisels, gravers, small lock parts (flys) etc. stick where you place them. Turn it off once in a while so you can sweep off the filings and grit. :rotf:

If you're going to use a chisel, you need to learn how to grind a chisel. :wink:

Latest posts

Back