• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA’s Siber Target Pistol: Its roots go back 160 years.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks Alone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is some information that I’ve gathered to document what I’ve learned about my example of a mostly unknown, high quality and highly accurate traditional target pistol that was offered by CVA in the late 80’s called the CVA Siber Target Pistol.

Jean Siber Target Pistol
The CVA Siber is a close replica of the 33 caliber target pistols made by Jean Siber, a mid 1800’s Swiss gun maker located in Lausanne, Switzerland that had come from a family of watch makers. Amazingly the shop still exists today and is headed by Claude Forney, who is a descendant of Aime Siber and Francios Forney (who had been entrusted the leadership of the Jean Siber workshop).

jsiber01.jpg

jsiber02.jpg

Fourney Armurier, Lausanne, Switzerland as it appears today.
jsiber03.jpg

I also have some pictures of elaborate 11mm and 16mm Schuetzen target rifles made in the mid 1800’s by Jean Siber, and they too are very high end with high grade wood, gold inlays and engraving on all of the metal parts. The gold inlays are about the only things not carried forward on most of the replicas to come ”“ all the other features and quality was. I’ll note some specifications as the story comes to them.

Hege Siber Target Pistol
The Jean Siber Target Pistol was replicated by Hege GmbH, an Uberlingen, West Germany firm in 1982 from an original well preserved 1850 Jean Siber target pistol. This was the year after the U.S. International Muzzle Loading Committee changed the rules for muzzle loader competitions to allow the use of authentic reproduction firearms in the target competitions. Prior to the change only original firearms could be used in most competitions, so the rules were changed due to the lack of availability of original firearms for the matches. The Hege-Siber quickly rose to fame winning match after match in European competitions and became “the” firearm to beat in Europe. It still reigns right at or near the top.

Some specifications”¦ 33 caliber; hooked breech 10” barrel is .850” across the flats with 8 lands/grooves, and a 1:13 RH twist; overall length is 15 ½’; weight is 36 oz. Barrels were blued, locks bright polished and engraved.

The Plain Jane version of the Hege-Siber pistols (dubbed the British Style) sold for approximately $735 in the early 80’s.

hsiber02.jpg

hsiber01.jpg

CVA Siber Target Pistol
Later in the 80’s CVA jumped on the wagon too, with a high quality version in 45 caliber. Metal and wood fit and finish is excellent and well above the norm for CVA firearms.

Some specifications”¦ Polished steel hand engraved lock with brindle, fly, screw adjustable sear engagement and v-type mainspring, polished hammer is also hand engraved. Stock is fancy grade European Walnut with fine hand checkering. 45 caliber; hooked patent breech 10 ½” polished barrel is 7/8” across the flats with 12 lands/grooves, a 1:22” twist and is also hand engraved. It has an adjustable single-set trigger with rear over-lateral limiting screw. The blade front sight is drift adjustable for windage, the rear U-notch blade is internally adjustable for elevation. Overall length is 16 ½” and the weight is 38 oz.

Some other features”¦ a traditional dolphin head hammer; the rear sight is built into the tang and located behind the breech plug.

In 1989 CVA’s MSRP for this pistol was $394. That’s nearly $250 more than their next most expensive traditional sidelock pistol, and more expensive than almost all of their long list of traditional rifles offered that year as well. The price reflects the huge difference in quality and materials used for these pistols, not to mention all the internal and external handwork that went into them.

So how does it shoot? It is the most accurate traditional pistol I have ever shot. I can hold more than my own shooting handguns as a long time handgun hunter, but it is capable of way better than these old eyes can hold it. I’ve carried it as backup on traditional predator hunts, and it’s earned its weight several times in that capacity taking everything from badger to coyotes.

Mine is stored in the beautiful custom silk brocade lined walnut footed case along with the Remington pistol style “faithful dog” flask and brass ramrod also included with it when I bought it. The gentleman had two sets of everything (except the case), but had already sold one set before I came along”¦ or I would have had a pair of them.

sibercase01.jpg

sibercase02.jpg

sibercase03.jpg

Unfortunately my hunting days are over, so I no longer shoot it.

A final note: Traditions produced a similar pistol called the Pioneer in 45 caliber, but it lacks the refinements and quality of the Hege and CVA.

pioneer.jpg

Hope some of you found the tale interesting. Was a long but fun road running down the information on a seldom seen pistol.

Walks Alone

(Besides Internet sources found, I have hard copies of articles and catalogs that this information came from.)

Thank you your effort is appreciated very much..just love the checkering on those pistols...That is the nicest looking CVA product I have seen!......Dan

Thanks for your comments gents. Looks like there's not much interest in it here. Too bad since it is probably one of the nicest traditional firearms CVA ever offered. I did it for myself though and was just sharing, so it was time well spent.

Yes. Excellent Historical portrayal. Sleuthing is rewarding! I like the old pictures of their shop and their tools. Makes the modern equipment seem so... so... so... unnecessary.

When I first got involved with the U.S. International Muzzleloading Team I was loaned a CVA Siber that belonged to the team. I took it with me to compete in the World Championships in Australia in 2000. I later found a Hege-Siber, & bought that, & I used it for a few years, but never really got comfortable with it & sold it just a couple of months or so ago.
The Hege is a very nicely made pistol &, as you say, the CVA version was leagues ahead of other CVA products of the time, too. I bought a spare lock for the CVA-Siber I was using from CVA around 2000. It seemed like they had a supply of parts available, you may want to drop them a line & see what they have left.

The Hege Siber is, I believe, no longer made but is nevertheless highly sought-after here in Europe - in the opinion of many it is the ultimate ML target pistol.

arquebus,

Thank you very much for your experienced input on the CVA and Hege Siber's.

So how did you do in OZ shooting the CVA?

Stayangry,

Thanks for your comments. I know when Hege changed their web site about a year plus ago they took the Siber off of it. So I contacted them and was told they were still available special order (at least right then). I don't know if they are still available now, but I did see one for sale on GB about 2 1/2 months ago that didn't sell with a starting price of about $750 USD (wonder if that was arquebus' pistol?). Tell your European shooters you know where there is a CVA Siber they could get. :wink:

I don't think very many of the CVA Siber's got in the hands of shooters on this side of the pond. Probably in part because of the $400 price tag along with the general assumption here (and a very wrong one) that CVA's firearms were only entry level. Had more of them been sold here so the word got around on them, I think they might have become a very popular choice for anyone who wanted a very precise shooter that is also well made.

So how did you do in OZ shooting the CVA?

Not real well, but that was all down to me, not the pistol!

wonder if that was arquebus' pistol?).

As a matter of fact yes. I listed it a few times before someone finally recognized it for what it was. By the way, the photo you posted of the cased Hege-Siber is the one I sold.

I thought it might be. Recognized it immediately, and if I was still shooting I'd have bought it, also immediately. I trust you don't mind, but I garnered all of your photo's on that ad for my records. Hege-Siber pictures are not that easy to come by, especially not quality ones like you took. The other Hege-Siber picture above is one that used to be on their web site, and only the first two of the CVA Siber are pictures I took myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Beeman Precision Arms offer a version of this pistol back in the 80's?

I was always drooling over the photos in the catalog.

I've been a Beeman user for years (currently have a Theoben/Beeman Crow Magnum rifle), but don't remember a Beeman pistol like this... couldn't find anything about it on-line either. Any idea what the Beeman model/name was?

Ahh, so maybe that's what made Razor think there was a Beeman like it. Thanks for the additional info.

Thank you so much for the pics and Info! I have been seriously into black powder for the past 37 years ( way before the computer age) and have never seen one of these pistols for sale Anywhere!
would love to have one in my collection! It would go nicely with my Le Rochatte a Paris .45
repro by ARMI SPORT !

Walks Alone said:
Thanks for your comments gents. Looks like there's not much interest in it here. Too bad since it is probably one of the nicest traditional firearms CVA ever offered. I did it for myself though and was just sharing, so it was time well spent.

Beautiful pistol - there are TWO of the Hege versions in our club, as well as a Kuechenreuter.

Thank you for you a great and informative post.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Back