• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA tumbler notch broken out: new part, recut or new lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday my CVA .50 Hawken refused to stay on full cock. I pulled out the lock, cleaned and after a bit of testing, used a hand lens to see the tumbler full-cock notch has its edge broken away so it cannot retain the sear nose.

Whats the go - new part, upgrade the lock or disassemble and re-cut?

New part.
Deer Creek has the part (tumbler), I just picked one up for an unbridled CVA lock last month for 10.95.

No web site, call'm with a credit or debit card handy;
765:525:6181

Don't mess with repairing the tumbler, just order a replacement tumbler. Also, check the trigger sear while you're at it to be sure that it is not damaged. Just replace the damaged parts and do not mess with trying to fix them. The replacements are not that expensive.

Back