• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Deerhunter is a cheap gun. I wanted to try flintlocks without breaking the bank. The local Sports Authority store had several of the flint guns in the rack for a long time. I kept watching until they got down to 100 bucks. I finally decided to buy one. When I went into the store, the owner had been reading the Wakeman BS and decided to get out of BP products completely. Thanks Randy! Anyway, I asked how much the guns were because they had a sales tag on them. The guy said 50$. I bought the last two. I sold the second one for 80$ and I have 20$ in mine. It looks pretty good for a 20$ gun! Anyway, the lock works pretty well except that it requires a very short flint. If the flint will cover a penny, it is too long to keep it off the frizzen at halfcock. The sights are the tall sights like they use on the cheap inlines, and they are not dovetailed into the barrel, so you can't change them out to traditional iron sights. They do work pretty well. The touchhole is too low, but the gun goes off every time. I have not bothered to mess with drilling the liner or grinding the pan deeper since it works as it is. First morning in the woods with it, a nice buck came off the hill thru the cedars towards me. He turned and headed my way. At 40 yards, he stopped ands turned the other way. I thought he had smelled me. At 60 yards, he hit an opening and the ball went right where the front bead was when it went off. When the smoke cleared, there was a brown spot over there on the ground and all was still. I thought I had dropped him in his tracks. I reloaded and went to look at my buck. The brown spot was not him! It was a scrape that he had been in when I shot him. I found him just before dark. Last year, I had a whole group of little bucks run a doe past me. One of the bucks took seeing me as an excuse to hit a little spike in the butt with his horns and ran him down the trail right at me. I actually had to use the gun to fend them off as I was trying to get out of the trail so they did not run me down. I missed a big doe because I pulled the shot high later in the week. That little cheap Deerhunter looks pretty good to me! It has provided me with treasured remembered hunts everytime we have been to the woods together. If I did not already have the 36 Bobcat caplock, I would jump on the 32 flintlock Deerhunter for squirrel hunting. I can't afford a PC flintlock squirrel rifle right now, but I am not going to wait till I can to hunt squirrels with BP.

Back