• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA squirrel rifle - rate of twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

I have a CVA squirrel rifle and want to know what rate of twist these rifles normally had?

Any suggestions?

Regards

Kirrmeister

It depends on what your CVA "squirrel" rifle actually is. I think there were more than one configuration marketed as a CVA squirrel rifle. Mine is a .36 and is stamped 1:48 twist, but I haven't measured it. I purchased it from Deer Creek as a "CVA Squirrel" rifle. It appears to be a wooden stocked Bobcat in .36. In fact, the barrel is also stamped "Bobcat".

I don't care what it is, it is a hoot to shoot :wink:

I also have the the .36 Bobcat, it's a 1:48. The twist rate is stamped on the barrel.

The original CVA Squirrel Rifle had a much nicer stock than the CVA Bobcat. I'm not sure what the twist is for that one.

the .32/.45 combo I just traded away was 1 in 48 on both barrels. Both marked "squirrel" and it was double trigger configuration.

It most likely has a 1:48 twist rate. You can check it by putting a tight fitting lubed patch on your ramrod and running it down the bore. When it hits bottom against the breach plug, draw a ring around the rod just at the muzzle. Then draw a short mark on your rod straight out from your front sight. Now draw out your rod allowing it to turn with the rifling. When the short mark has rotated one half turn so that it is now lined up with the bottom flat of your barrel, measure the distance from the muzzle to the ring that you drew on the rod. This is the distance for half a turn so you multiply it by 2 to get the distance for a full turn. This final number is your twist rate. Let's assume that you have a 32 inch barrel. Let's also assume that you draw out the rod 24 inches by the time it has made a half revolution. Multiply 24 X 2 to get 48. That barrel has a twist rate of 1:48.

If it's a slow twist so a half a turn is difficult to measure, you can do the same thing with only a quarter of a turn, then multiply by 4.

Jumpshot said:
If it's a slow twist so a half a turn is difficult to measure, you can do the same thing with only a quarter of a turn, then multiply by 4.

Good point. Thanks for the assist.

Bill

Old40Rod said:
It depends on what your CVA "squirrel" rifle actually is. I think there were more than one configuration marketed as a CVA squirrel rifle. Mine is a .36 and is stamped 1:48 twist, but I haven't measured it. I purchased it from Deer Creek as a "CVA Squirrel" rifle. It appears to be a wooden stocked Bobcat in .36. In fact, the barrel is also stamped "Bobcat".

I don't care what it is, it is a hoot to shoot :wink:

I'd say yours is a Bobcat, not a Squirrel Old40Rod.

A CVA Squirrel and CVA Bobcat are two completely different models.

The earlier Squirrels only came with nice wood stocks, double set triggers and IMO are much better made than the later Bobcats.

Sold my early 32 Squirrel to a member here, but still have my early 36 Squirrel. Never wanted a Bobcat.

The 32 Squirrel does have a 1:48 twist and the factory recommended loads for it is 10-30 gr. of FFFG with a .310 ball and .015 patch.

My 36 Squirrel...
cva36.jpg

CVA Bobcat...
cvabob.jpg

Latest posts

Back