• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Squirell double trigger questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just recieved my CVA squirrel rifle. The Double triggers are not working. When I cock the hammer and pull the rear trigger to set nothing seams to happen.

The rear trigger seems pretty sloppy and is not doing anything.

Fidling around with the adjustment srcrew in the middle I can make the front trigger pretty light and still safe but without having to press the rear trigger.

Fooling around with the rear screw seems to do nothing as well.

Also there seems to be quite a delay between the cap discharging and the charge of powder igniting. Its pop....boom. Is there anyway to speed this up?

If it's a new rifle did you scrub the bore prior to shooting? If so, check your nipple to make sure the cap is seating & make sure it is clean also. Someone else will have to give the correct instructions on the set trigger adjustment,I don't have a clue on the CVA's

Do not know your trigger set up but on a set I have been working on, removing the rear trigger :youcrazy: (do not ask why) it would seam like the spring for the rear one is broken/missing/ weak. That is the part that loads the triggers to fire with the front one set.
With out that spring working right on mine I can set the front one as a hair also with the front screw but it is unsafe at that point! The reason being I have almost fully disengaged the sear by then :nono: .so I would check the spring for pre load on the rear trigger with the back screw set at the mid way point but then again I am saying this based on my double set triggers yours may be fully deferent and then I am doing nothing but blowing smoke :2 . I know some one that knows what there talking about will jump in here as they have saved me a time or two. :bow:

I'll second what Huntman58 said. The mainspring for the triggers is either broken or the screw holding it has backed out. Pull the triggers. There should be a large, flat spring that presses on the rear of the rear trigger.

If the screw that holds it has backed out just tighten it up to where the rear trigger will engage the front and snap up with enough authority to trip the sear. Don't tighten to much or the rear trigger will rise up and press against the sear. You won't be able to cock the rifle without setting the trigger. When you get the trigger to the right place, put a little fingernail polish on the screw to keep it in place.

If the spring is broken or missing, get ahold of Deer Creek and get a replacement.

agree...my first thought was to pull the lock, look for a broken spring, but expect to find that someone has screwed up the adjustment screws...I picked up a T/C Hawken last June, and the dealer pointed out that the double triggers didn't function, so one had to use the front trigger which was set light....5 minutes of messing with the screws turned it right again. My opinion is that the prior owner was using it for hunting only, and didn't want to pull two triggers for one shot..Hank

Well I was too anxious to get out hunting with the rifle to mess with the triggers. I did buy a traditions red hot nipple on my way out. I installed it and I get a nice instant touch off now.

I didnt check the rifle for groups. I just loaded up a .310 roundball, a .010 patch, 30 grains powder and proceeded to hit a pop can 5 times from about 20 yards away and took her huntin'

I shot at a couple rabbits, they were a little ways out and sitting in some real thick brush. I didnt get any. Sure wore the beagle out! Usually we are done hunting in a couple of hours if I got a shotgun. We were out there for 6 hours today!

Maybe next weekend I'll get some.

Well had some time to fiddle with it. took me about 2 minutes and the set function is working just fine. Thanks guys.

Come on weekend! Gotta get some rabbits!

Latest posts

Back