• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ardesa Spain Hawken-ish rifle: sear or set trigger problem?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbennettnc

20-to-the-pound
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello from the NC back country! Finally joined this forum today after years of reading muzzleloader advice here. A buddy of mine has me tinkering with an Ardesa Spain rifle that won't function right. It will occasionally stay at full cock, but then the pull is terribly heavy and essentially can't be released at all. The set triggers seemed to be working fine, but now aren't releasing the hammer. Out of the gun, the sear won't disengage the tumbler when pressed, and it's a bear to get it to release it in the gun. After pulling it all apart, it looks like the sear is worn down some, but at the same time it seems like it engages the notch too deeply. Adjusting the screw in the lock has only led to it locking up or not engaging the notch at all. Are locks for double set triggers inherently different from those for single trigger guns? I figured the only difference was the fly, but I have had single trigger guns that have fly's in the locks. It seems to have an identical lock to the CVA Mountain Rifle, but I've not got one of those to compare and confirm this. Should I try just replacing the sear or keep fiddling with adjusting the set screws in the lock tumbler and he triggers? Do any of y'all have familiarity with this rifle or this problem in general?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
A.J.

While the barrels on the Ardessa Spain rifles are often very good, the locks have often been a problem. Thin case hardening often results in early wear as you have seen on the seer and probably the tumbler. I suspect the case hardening has worn through on both the tumbler and the seer.

Simple single triggers do not require a fly in the tumbler. However, once a manufacturer has set up production of double set triggers which will work just fine with a simple single trigger, will use the lock with the fly for all triggers.

While the barrels on the Ardessa Spain rifles are often very good, the locks have often been a problem. Thin case hardening often results in early wear as you have seen on the seer and probably the tumbler. I suspect the case hardening has worn through on both the tumbler and the seer.

Simple single triggers do not require a fly in the tumbler. However, once a manufacturer has set up production of double set triggers which will work just fine with a simple single trigger, will use the lock with the fly for all triggers.
Thanks! I believe I'll get me a new sear and if that cures it. Do you reckon a sear from a Traditions or CVA Mountain Rifle would fit on an Ardesa?

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Didn’t see in your profile where in NC you are located, but noticed in a post that you ‘from the NC back country’. A lot of back country in NC. If you narrowed your location down a bit, someone on the forum may be close by and possibly be able to help you.

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Didn’t see in your profile where in NC you are located, but noticed in a post that you ‘from the NC back country’. A lot of back country in NC. If you narrowed your location down a bit, someone on the forum may be close by and possibly be able to help you.
Thanks! I'm located in the Uwharries, in Stanly County.

Latest posts

Back