• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shot the .58 CVA Mountain Rifle today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballshooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am really liking this CVA Big Bore .58 shot over 50 rounds today and didn't swab the bore once. The last few shots were getting a bit more difficult to seat lol. Shot at 60 yards today she seems to like 85 grains by volume of my homemade black powder and .562 roundball with blue Walmart pillow ticking. Shot four then moved the sight just a hair to the right and up a little. Then shot three...I'll take that! Spent the rest of my day shooting clay pigeons at 80 and 100 yards among rocks and my 8 inch steel gong. Man does the .562 ball make it sing lol I would like to try some .570 balls and thin patch. But I don't think it would load to easy the .562 ball and .20 patch was snug. I have a 440 grain LEE REAL bullet mold coming just to see if it shoots in the 1:72 twist.

So far I like it patches looked very good and am a happy camper with the results.

Attachments

• 20220116_122237.jpg
    20220116_122237.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220116_132901.jpg
    20220116_132901.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 89
Awesome! Glad to hear. I picked up a Big bore.58 at my local gun store last week, $150 bucks! Couldn’t believe it. I currently have it stripped and reworking the stock. Whoever built it really didn’t know what they were doing.

Anthony

I am really liking this CVA Big Bore .58 shot over 50 rounds today and didn't swab the bore once. The last few shots were getting a bit more difficult to seat lol. Shot at 60 yards today she seems to like 85 grains by volume of my homemade black powder and .562 roundball with blue Walmart pillow ticking. Shot four then moved the sight just a hair to the right and up a little. Then shot three...I'll take that! Spent the rest of my day shooting clay pigeons at 80 and 100 yards among rocks and my 8 inch steel gong. Man does the .562 ball make it sing lol I would like to try some .570 balls and thin patch. But I don't think it would load to easy the .562 ball and .20 patch was snug. I have a 440 grain LEE REAL bullet mold coming just to see if it shoots in the 1:72 twist.

So far I like it patches looked very good and am a happy camper with the results.
50 rounds shooting a 58' roundballer and no swabbing?
What was on those blue Walmart pillow ticking patches?
.562 ball and .20 patch was snug?.... from shot-1 to shot-46 or-so?..... never worsened?

We need more info. Maybe you have a homemade blackpowder that should be on Cabela's store shelves.

50 rounds shooting a 58' roundballer and no swabbing?
What was on those blue Walmart pillow ticking patches?
.562 ball and .20 patch was snug?.... from shot-1 to shot-46 or-so?..... never worsened?

We need more info. Maybe you have a homemade blackpowder that should be on Cabela's store shelves.
Yes ,Walmart blue pillow ticking and my mix of bear tallow, beeswax and a splash of Murphy oil. Can't talk about my homemade brew here but it sure beats any store stuff I have used.

Kia Ora from NZ. Gosh that's a beautiful rifle.
:)

Back