• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA percussion lock interchangeability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
there are some different lock styles on eBay. I’m thinking about replacing my lock, as the fixes I had to do to get mine working included removing the half cock safety. The style of the lock I have is this:

Attachments

• DC8D3304-9D9B-4455-B95B-FED0188C7DE6.png
    DC8D3304-9D9B-4455-B95B-FED0188C7DE6.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 129
Can this style be interchangeable with it if the lock plate is the same shape.

Attachments

• 6D447FD0-5E19-45D7-B661-58D1E8DDC947.png
    6D447FD0-5E19-45D7-B661-58D1E8DDC947.png
    603.3 KB · Views: 136
What gun are you trying to replace the lock on ?
A CVA lock from one model will interchange with another of the same model, there is also interchangeability between some CVA models.

CVA hawkin to T/C hawkin likely won't fit. and the hammer would probably be wrong if it did.

You can get CVA locks from Deer Creek. at a good price.

You can get a premium upgraded lock from L&R but it will probably cost as much as the gun is worth.
Not really necessary for percussion but recommended for flintlocks.

Can this style be interchangeable with it if the lock plate is the same shape.
Nope. The bridled lock includes the fly.
The none bridled lock is meant for use as single trigger only.
Another issue is location of the lock mount screws,,
,,keep searching,

I was just wondering if CVA upgraded, or remodeled the bridal style lock, and was now makeing the same lock withought the bridal.... but didn’t know the correct term to be clear in the question. Seems to me from only looking at the various offerings on eBay, that there are more different shaped lock plates, than there are different parts used on them for the CVA’s.

At this point, if I try to replace my lock, I think I can only guess which one might work since my rifle has no identifying model number or name on it.

It's really hard at this point with the CVA,,
Your right,, CVA did change a bunch of stuff,, some parts swapped,, some didn't,,
,, problem is now because CVA stopped making trad rifles,, is that what you have,, may have already been "swapped" out by a previous owner.
Why did you modify the lock?

The notch on the tumbler that the sear catches to hold it at full cock, busted off. I cut a new notch, which caused the fly to sit higher, in order to allow the sear to drop into the new notch. The fly couldn’t do so because the trigger assy was in the way, so I ended up heating and bending the fly for the clearance it needed. In the process, the itty bitty cam that covered the half cock notch, allowing the sear to jump the notch when fireing, went awol, so I had to cut the half cock notch off. Basically, it functions now, but I have no half cock safety.

What gun are you trying to replace the lock on ?

You can get CVA locks from Deer Creek. at a good price.

Deer creek products web site isn’t working for me. Acts like part of their site ain’t working.

I think it’s a CVA Mountain rifle, but w/o model # or name I can’t be sure. It’s a trad. rifle, 32” bbl, 15/16th, with two bbl keys holding it to the stock. Double trigger. 54 cal.

Deer creek products web site isn’t working for me. Acts like part of their site ain’t working.

I think it’s a CVA Mountain rifle, but w/o model # or name I can’t be sure. It’s a trad. rifle, 32” bbl, 15/16th, with two bbl keys holding it to the stock. Double trigger. 54 cal.

It sounds like a big bore mountain rifle, If you can't navigate their website, just call them. I had no trouble with their site.

Here is some info.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/cva-mountain-rifle-catalog-specs.51422/

I got more of the site to come up on the home computer, only enough to view the gun tabs. Mine looks like the mountain rifle, but not as fancy as that pic. No patchbox on the stock, orange colored wood, no brass, grey plastic nose cone on the wood. Gun style seems identical though.

The notch on the tumbler that the sear catches to hold it at full cock, busted off. I cut a new notch, which caused the fly to sit higher, in order to allow the sear to drop into the new notch. The fly couldn’t do so because the trigger assy was in the way, so I ended up heating and bending the fly for the clearance it needed. In the process, the itty bitty cam that covered the half cock notch, allowing the sear to jump the notch when fireing, went awol, so I had to cut the half cock notch off. Basically, it functions now, but I have no half cock safety.

For reference, the "itty bitty cam" that covered the half cock notch is the fly. Not sure what part you are calling the fly. Pictures would help.

Sounds as if you need a new tumbler, fly and possibly sear. Maybe a set trigger lever. Deer creek is the place to go. If at all possible get a illustrated parts drawing of the CVA Mountain Rifle so you may be able to identify parts by a part number.

This a generic drawing of a lock. The fly is covered by the bridle. Print it out to be able to read the names of the parts.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Images/Nomenclature-small.jpg

Last edited:
The entire L shaped piece is the sear. The nose of the sear engages in the notch in the tumbler. The trigger lever strikes the sear bar to release the nose of the sear out of the notch

Back