• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle - kit interrupted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to a small local gun show and picked up a .45 early CVA Mountain Rifle for cheap, reason being it appears to have been a kit gun that someone finished about 85% and then quit. Following that, someone else must have used it for hunting. Has what looks like a CVA adjustable, modern rear sight and some kind of similar front. The lock works but it probably needs cleaning. I'm going to have to find a screw driver which fits the lock bolts, since nothing in my B-Square set seems to match up. (Metric slot???) The good news is the bore just looks kind of dusty. The bad news is they never installed the patchbox. Gun's a bit odd in that it has the octagon thimbles but a blued (almost black) end cap. Weren't they German silver? Also noticed that the ramrod tip says "Federal .38 Spcl". Whatever works. Not too bad for seventy-bucks.

In Googling patch boxes, I came across a thread which said that the four-screw are different sized than the later two-screwed. Might have to just buy an over-sized box and start filing. Oh, and find a couple of barrels keys while I'm at it. Just can't resist a "bargain". :grin:

PS - I did manage to find the two-hole patchboxes. Does anyone know if the four and two were actually different sizes or patterns?

Maybe a dumb question but that .38 casing doesn't have a live primer does it? I actually got a used muzzleloader once that had one made into a ramrod tip and it had a live primer! That could get unnecesarily exciting with a good thump!

I will take a look but I think it was dimpled. Yes, that would certainly tamp the load down! :grin:

The 2 patchboxes are all together different. The 2 hole is just like the Hawken Patchbox, 4 hole is more ornate. The nosecap was pewter. :grin:

Thanks. Guess I will have to find some good pictures of the early one. I didn't think they were that ornate, though, from the ones I have handled, aside from the two extra screws. Yes, the two hole do look just like the brass Hawken patchboxes. I will take some measurements of the stock mortise for reference.

Well, just found a really good photo. I see what you mean.

cvapatchbox.jpg

I took a look at the stock and it's inletted for the older style. You could almost use the new one except for those points. Something will turn up.

Yes, s/n 14XXX. I was reading on another site about these and the person said that CVA did the made in USA rifles around 1977, then transitioned to Spanish the next year. Who knows how true that may be, but he also mentioned they used up what older parts they had, perhaps for the kit guns. As mentioned, this one has a heavily blued nosed cap. I didn't think you could blue pewter, so it might be something from a Hawken. Hopefully, I will complete it, although thirty-some years late. It's a shame the kit's builder left off the patchbox. The stock isn't bad, although the butt plate has a slight gap at the base. I think the toe plate's a shade too long. Trimming and bending the butt plate should take care of that.

Before you buy any patchbox, let me look in my junk pile, I think I have one, and if you like it, I will send it to you free.
Sorry, my mistake. It's for an Ohio, I think.
CIMG0400.jpg

CIMG0401.jpg

First, let me say that is a most generous offer. Looks like it will be a bit too long, but thanks, anyway. Something is bound to turn up, sooner or later. Just cleaned up the lock and triggers last night. Don't you wish people would clean their guns? Question - on the full cock, should I be hearing a distinct "click"? Half cock is a clear "snick" but not full, although it seems to lock up fine. Scrubbed/flushed out the bore and then ran a bunch of paper towels down it (am out of cleaning patches, among other things) and they came out really brown/tan. I'm going to get one of those drop-in skinny flashlights for a better look, but for sure it's gonna take more elbow grease. Couldn't get the darned clean-out screw free and didn't want to bugger the slot any more than it is. Did manage to pull the nipple and almost broke my nipple wrench. Resorted to a crescent hammer to get it started. Thankfully, the threads on both it and the drum seem OK. Why do I buy this stuff? "Never Learn Department". Don'tcha just love gun show bargains? :grin:

Isn't there a place called 'Deer creek' that has all the old CVA parts?

edit: the CVA site says Deer Creek has the old parts. They don't seem to have a website, but their phone number is:
765-525-6181

I have bought a few parts for my old CVA from them. Good people, good prices, fast service. They seem to really now CVA's.

I might have found a cap box. (Yes, I discovered I should be using that term, not "patch box".) Was searching and came across one on the R. E. Davis site. It looks almost identical to the early CVA, right down to the four (in this case, six) hole pattern. Since that gun was made in the USA (aside from the lock and, maybe, triggers), I wonder if Davis might have supplied the cap boxes?

You tell me -

capbox.jpg

I'll have to take some measurements and give them a call. Comes in German Silver, too.

It is not the same as the one on mine.It's close
but mine has no point.I tell you what.I plan on
trying to post my first pic's of my new GPR build
tonight.

If I can I will post a pic of my early CVA patch
cover.
Fly

Back