• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across this rifle today. Just from the pictures I'm guessing it's a CVA. Someone has put camo tape on the barrel and fiber optic sights on it. :barf: I'm going to try to buy it and give it back some dignity. They think it's a .45. Any idea what it might be worth?

saveflint.jpg

Honestly I would try to find something better to work on. Fell into that kind of trap before I am ashamed to say. Ther are several Brother in law guns in my collection that I repaired (parts were costly).
Parts might be a problem too, since CVA are out of the flint/percussion business.

Well I guess the poor thing is just going to have to suffer. I was going to give $75 just to save it from humiliation.

Mountainman,
If you go ahead with this project and need some parts, call Deer Creek at (765)525-6181. They carry just about every part for the traditional CVA muzzle loaders. I rebuilt one for my son-in-law. They are a very low cost, light weight, straight shooter. It will never be PC, but what you learn by reworking this rifle will be invaluable. Just a learning tool. But in the end you'll have a fun gun :thumbsup: .

for $75 i'll buy it! it should rebuild easy enough. i just did the same to a traditions. and its a good shooter, and a good rifle for a beginner. if you dont want it seriously, i'll take it.

karwelis

Hoo boy,

Now I can see why the HC/PC guys get all fired up about "build it the way you like it". :rotf: :stir:

Disturbing... :shocked2:

I'd still go ahead with the re-do even though it won't be worth much. The CVA kentucky was my first flinter. They're alot of fun and not a bad little shooter either.

You must save this rifle and bring it back to it's original glory!

-----and that is if you can salvage the tape--- :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I picked up one of those many moons ago... it was about a month after Ted Belue published his infamous "how to age and distess a musket" article in Muzzleloader Magazine. I believe I gave about $50 for it. It was a total piece of manure, and remains so today.

I did all the nasty stuff to it and it looks like
its been drug to hell and back...although I must admit the white beads I pounded into it do look pretty. (Oh Lord, why did I use original pound beads on a piece of junk like that?!?)

If you intend on doing historical reenactments, steer clear of this monster. I could only recommend these guns under one of two circumstances....
1. You need a true beater for things like canoeing...if its lost, you are only out a few bucks. (thats why I have mine) or
2. You want to forge a tomahawk, hide scraper or picket pin out of an old rifle barrel.

If you want something that will actually shoot...save your money for something better.

I already have one similar to it in percussion. I keep it to lend out in case I have someone who wants to try muzzleloading. It certainly ain't PC but then again neither are any of my other rifles if you really get down to it. It is in fact a good shooter, good enough that one day I'm going to put better sights on it so I can shoot it myself once in a while with my tired old eyes.

Beware the camo tape. It might be there to hide something. If not then it might be a pretty good rifle. Just looks like some boob wanted to modernize a perfectly good rifle.

HD

Mountainman56 said:
I already have one similar to it in percussion. I keep it to lend out in case I have someone who wants to try muzzleloading. It certainly ain't PC but then again neither are any of my other rifles if you really get down to it. It is in fact a good shooter, good enough that one day I'm going to put better sights on it so I can shoot it myself once in a while with my tired old eyes.

I agree with you. I can't ever understand why a gun has to be primo in order to be a great gun. I've had all kinds of guns (both modern and BP) and all I gotta say is some of the prettiest and most costly weren't worth a tinkers d--n!
I was always under the impression that it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it's a good shooter. After all what are we buyin guns to look at or guns to shoot.
Besides we all ain't Drs. or Lawyers, some of us work for a living...

The problem with buying used guns like this is that NOBODY cleans them. Odds are, the bore is a pitted, rusty mess. If the bore's OK, sure, you can do something with it. It can certainly be made more presentable. Might be a good piddle around in the afternoons type of project. IF the barrel is good and IF the lock is functional...

I have a certain fondness for the CVA Kentucky, and they can be made to look pretty cool!

I own two in .50 and bought them used. They both have good barrels.

I would strip the ugly manure off that barrel, and brown it for starters!

Figure what it is worth in parts then go from there.

The one picture here was a sled when I got it. You wouldn't believe how ugly the painted the finish on the stock!

She is very accurate!

Picture017-3.jpg

I'd do it if it cost $50; I'd even go $75 if the bore was in very good shape.

It is salvageable, and not every gun in the inventory has to be Chambers quality.

I say buy it and restore its dignity. This was the first gun I ever bought 30 years ago and put together in a percussion model and I still have it. No gun should look like that plus it would be a good loaner for someone to try a flintlock.

I don't have a flintlock and will buy it to match the one I just redid as is for what you are talking price wise. Very fond memories of building the one I have and just refinishing it. Shoots well for me. I have seen already some expensive beaters that shoot, why not this one?

Back