• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelhammer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am currently tracking an auction for a CVA Kentucky pistol kit. It is .45 cal with a caplock. I remember wanting one of these as a kid, but am curious to know how much this kit is worth. The kit is supposed to be complete.

Hard to say.
3 years ago Dixie offered a Traditions Kentucky pistol kit in .50 caliber for $125.
Traditions imports the same guns that CVA did so except for the caliber it would be the same.

My 3 year old Blue Book says a factory made CVA Kentucky pistol was worth $153 in brand new condition.

Most likely the kit you are seeing was bought back in the '90s when they were selling for around $90.
If it were me, I sure wouldn't go over $120 for this kit, but, then that's me.

I might have paid about thirty dollars for my kit a long time ago. I don't think I'd give much more for it now, but that is just me.

It's listed for $50 currently, and I was thinking no more than 75 to 80. Thanks for the quick response.

do you want it just to have one or do you want to shot it? For the secound option take care what lock is used the cheap ones doesn´t have a bridle !

If you really, really want it I wouldn't be afraid to go up to $100. Anything under that is a good price. They are good shooters and even though the lock doesn't have a bridle ,they function properly and seem to hold up just fine. I scored a Traditions model without the barrel for $50 and got a brand new barrel assembly from Traditions for $45. I am very pleased with it.

If it something you really want go for it. I think I know the one you are watching and life is too short to let it get away if you realy want it. I just paid too much for a rifle that I had to have, "oh well" I'm happy! :grin:

I believe that alot of things are worth whatever somebody is willing to pay and how bad they want it. I found this out as a kid working in an antique auction carrying furniture, etc. A good autioneer learns how to read these things.

I working on a Kentucky 45 C&B I bought in kit form from Dixie way back in 1979. I just returned from the welder that had to bend the hammer so it would contact the nipple correctly and not hit on the edge. The inletting of the wood was horrible and I think none of the parts fit without being redone. I paid $39 in 1979 and I think that is about what they are worth. I'm gonna shoot the darn thing at least once and if I try another one it won't be from Dixie... just my opinion.

Arkansas said:
I working on a Kentucky 45 C&B I bought in kit form from Dixie way back in 1979. I just returned from the welder that had to bend the hammer so it would contact the nipple correctly and not hit on the edge. The inletting of the wood was horrible and I think none of the parts fit without being redone. I paid $39 in 1979 and I think that is about what they are worth. I'm gonna shoot the darn thing at least once and if I try another one it won't be from Dixie... just my opinion.
So you paid $39 for an entry level kit and expected all the parts would fit together without any effort on your part, and since this 30 year old kit didn't live up to your expectations of a perfect gun for dirt cheap money, you're going to take your business elsewhere. I strongly suspect Dixie would be secretly pleased with that decision.

By the way, since you admit to being aware that the lock inletting was not perfect did you consider correcting that problem before modifying the hammer? Many, if not all, hammer/nipple mismatches in those and the other CVA kits were easily fixed by adjusting the lock inletting rather than getting out the torch.

If that's ole kit number 139 KENTUCKY PERCUSSION PISTOL KIT (1980 catalog, $37.50) it says it is a .44 caliber barrel and you should use a .430 diameter ball in it.

If it is kit number 121 (1980 catalog, $63.70) it is a .45 so a .440 diameter ball would work.

I doubt if the problem was my stupidity as some might suggest. The hammer mismatch was 1/4 to the right and 1/2 inch short from the nipple. It's hard to move inleting and not leave a hole but I'm sure there is a way if people say it can be done. As a follow up... the pistol will hit oak leaves at 25 yards without a hickup.

Arkansas said:
...bend the hammer so it would contact the nipple correctly and not hit on the edge...The hammer mismatch was 1/4 to the right and 1/2 inch short from the nipple.
That's quite a trick. How did it miss the nipple by 1/4" to the right and 1/2" short and still hit it on the edge?

Back