• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Help!!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbuck223

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay....I'm finally getting ready to shoot my .50cal CVA Kentucky pistol...but wanted to clean everything up really good beforehand...grease the threads...etc. I purchased this gun used (it hase never been fired though)...so I don't have the manual. I was gonna try and pull the drum....but that baby won't budge....then I got to thinking...before I take a sledgehammer to it...maybe it's not supposed to. Can you remove these drums? Are you even supposed to for cleaning...etc. I always remove the drums to clean on my others...and hate the idea of not being able to...Thanks for your help.

Do not remove the drum, on this or your others. They are not made to be removed for routine cleaning.

Okay...I'm fine with leaving the drum in....but how the heck do you clean it properly? When I look down the bore I can see that the drum goes through the breechplug and about halfway through the chambler. This leave a lot of obstacle to try and work a brush around. Any advice on how you guys who own one of these are cleaning them would be appreciated.

Take the barrel out of the stock, stick it in a pail of water with a little dish soap and run a patched jag up and down the barrel like a pump.

Thanks guys...I just got done cleaning it up...came out okay....but it doesn't seem like a great design over the long term. So let me just get this straight for the future....I always remove the drum on my Hawken and Pedersoli Kentucky rifle to clean....those come off easy....but are you all suggesting that I shouldn't do this either? Or maybe just once a season before storage? By the way the pistol shot really well...but beyond 20 to 25 yards I was all over the place with it. The problem is that for the shoots I want to use it for the targets run from 25 to 50 yards. I see guys use them...now I understand why they shoot the scores they do...I always knew that it was challenging but not that hard....I mean it is very different than shooting a longrifle.

Yes, lots of soapy water with a cleaning jag.
If you have a clean out screw on the end of the drum, you can push a pipe cleaner into the breech to ensure there are no obstructions. Then a good drying and oiling. That is the best you can do, and honestly, that is all you need to do.

Do to the convoluted breech on the CVAs, I get a warm-fuzzy taking a hair dryer to the breech end of the gun. It ensures that it is bone dry before I re-assemble and lube the gun.

No don't remove the drum. You can take the nipple out of the drum, no problem. I do on my cleaning. For the long term cleaning I would plug the nipple with toothpick, put in a cleaning solution, put finger in barrel and tilt up and down, turn rifle up side down, nipple to ground, pull out toothpick, let solution run tru the nipple, then run patches till dry with the rifle up side down, then oil. I have two of these rifles,also have a Jukar, same gun. Dilly

Repeated removal of the drum can lead to loose fit. This may already be happening if they come out easily. Too loose of a fit and the drum can become a projectile itself. Not even once a season, the only reason to remove the drum is if it needs to be replaced.

When you clean remove the nipple and/or cleanout screw in the end of the drum and use a pipe cleaner in the drum and breech area. Apply a little anti-seize to the threads when you re-install them! :thumbsup:

Trot said:
Repeated removal of the drum can lead to loose fit. This may already be happening if they come out easily. Too loose of a fit and the drum can become a projectile itself. Not even once a season, the only reason to remove the drum is if it needs to be replaced.
+1, :thumbsup:

I'll toss in another, Don't Remove the Drum from Any of your guns when you clean them.

If water is pumped thru them after the nipple is removed all of the harmful salts from the fouling will be washed out of them.

The traces of carbon that is left behind won't cause any problems, especially if it has a very light coating of a good gun oil on it.

I have the same gun and cal. on mine I remove the clean out screw on the end of the drum then run a pipe cleaner through it. all a guy realy needs to do with it. as for your shooting keep at er! it takes time... I ben shooting rondys for 15 years now and I'm still learing.

Latest posts

Back