• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva Hawken .50 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost none of the factory made guns have crosspinned ramrod tips.

Most factory made guns come with their ramrod tips glued onto the ramrod. A sure recipe for the tip pulling off.

If you folks reading this haven't already checked your ramrods, go take a look at them.

Your looking for a cross pin located towards the rear of the metal tip.

A cross section thru the area looks like this

Here's a link to a discussion about this
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.../18/tid/202708/pid/366950/post/366950/#366950

Last edited by a moderator:
The ramrod on my hawken is a wooden one with brass tips. The one that broke is the one that u screw the cleaning and loading tips into. It broke right and the end where the brass tip stops. Looks like from factory they used a punch to press the brass into the wood. Thats the way its held on.

My original CVA mountain in 50 cal the rod had aluminum tips and was cross pinned at factory.
My guess factory decided to go to crimping to save money. crimp is easier and quicker then a cross drill, pin and peen.
And glue is cheaper still.
And for those of you that may need replacement tips I stock a bunch and jags and worms and pullers too. Just PM me.

You can get Hickory rods most lumber yards and even Hobby Lobby has some,

Has anyone heard of the u breakable ram rod that track of the wolf sells? I was thinking about getting it but not sure if it will fit on my barrel so i can keep it with me at all times. Are these good? I believe its a synthetic rod.

hawken1983 said:
Has anyone heard of the u breakable ram rod that track of the wolf sells? I was thinking about getting it but not sure if it will fit on my barrel so i can keep it with me at all times. Are these good? I believe its a synthetic rod.

Probably it's a Treso Series 80. They are made also for specific guns, look for yours.

Back