• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Blunderbuss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriot59

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Will be getting a CVA Blunderbuss, upon inspecting this piece it has the appearance of a threaded bell at the muzzle. This got me to thinking if I could remove the bell and replace with a thread protecter I would have a unique and more usable caone gun. Any thoughts or info?

Patriot, I am glad you are gonna get that gun!
its going to shoot the same pattern with or without the bell flare...
but it will load much faster with the flare attached ( thats the reason of having a bell flare). Can you post some photos when ya git it?

Sounds like a lot of fun either way. I grew up on West St. in Wadsworth. You are familiar with the Log Cabin Shop no doubt? I'm sure the guys out there would have some good info for you.

Bryan

patriot59
If I remember right the bell is just a press fit.

I think I might have one or two, of just the bell, can’t find anything when I want it.

Most of the ones that I removed the bell from, I just cut off.
Re-crowned they are a fun little gun.

Tinker2

Thanks for the info, just got back from the Log Cabin. Replaced the frizzen and mainspring, got a lot of cleaning to do before I try a round. Think I may reshape the stock to more of a 1750's Flavor. Oz and Dan think the bell is press fit also, tough to remove. Will give some thought before deciding.

Mark, I've owned a CVA blunderbuss before. They do indeed have a press fit bell. Great little noise maker!

Back