• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting through color case hardening - Regular needle file or diamond needle file

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hate post titles that don't get to the point...The title basically says it all. If I adjust my POI by filing the notch in a Dragoon hammer which needle file can cut through the case hardening?

I know that regular case hardening does actually harden the surface of the steel. Just wondering if color case hardening does the same or is it just for the color effect?

It is fake color case, the hammer is just hardened steel. People file notches deeper all the time with Dollar Store files

The color case comes off with vinegar , it's fake

My 2021 Uberti hammer seems hard clear through but a triangle file cut it. I ground the tip so it was flat and it sparked like tool steel. But a good, sharp file should get you where you want to be

All are in hard steel, the color hardening is here only to look pretty, a good triangular steel file like a Bergeon™ for clockmakers (I was) is enough to do the job: did so on my last 1851...
Buy some diamond files can be the best way if you don't have them: you can do everything perfectly with that stuff...
I always work with that kind of file on my arms: Jewelry Files Relentless Needle Files Set of 6

Last edited:
All are in hard steel, the color hardening is here only to look pretty, a good triangular steel file like a Bergeon™ for clockmakers (I was) is enough to do the job: did so on my last 1851...
Buy some diamond files can be the best way if you don't have them: you can do everything perfectly with that stuff...
I always work with that kind of file on my arms: Jewelry Files Relentless Needle Files Set of 6
Thanks for the link. I do have some diamond needle files that I bought decades ago, can’t vouch for the quality, seldom if ever used them. I do have a bunch of needle files of various quality. I have done (and taught) jewelry making and metal smithing for many years so I have collected quite a few. I just don’t want to ruin any of my better files. I guess the diamond files are my safest bet.

Back