• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting a barrel down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldpagan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I understand that the ATF does not consider black powder guns as “firearms”, so does this exempt them from the required barrel lengths for rifles and shotguns?
The reason I ask is the couple of posts that discuss blanket guns, and the web sites that offer them for sale.
What’s the scoop?

Antiques and replicas of them are exempt from the Federal laws that govern modern firearms. This includes the barrel length.

Don't forget to check your state laws. States can have laws concerning that issue in muzzle loading guns.

Remember that States have their own laws, and interpret them THEIR way. In Illinois, and I believe, New Jersey, for instance, the barrel length laws must be met by even replicas. Check your state laws, and then talk to an knowledgeable Lawyer in your state to find out if its wise to be cutting a barrel shorter than 16" for rifles, and 18" for shotguns. Overall length still must be 26", altho the Feds. have allowed this required length to be met with folding stocks. I don't know the individual state takes on their similar OAL laws.

Maybe Dr.Law will see this and comment. He is a Prosecutor, and may have better information at hand than I do on this topic.

Seems to me one of the Italian manufacturers used to offer a side-by-side percussion 12 gauge with 14-inch barrels. Called it a Texas Ranger model or some such for that Civil War outfit that carried shotties. It's in one of Sam Fadala's books.

Yes they did.
I haven't seen one in years!
I think they may not have been legal in all states and were discontinued.
:idunno:

It was sold under the brand name, "Sile" for a while. My ex-wife owned one- she ought it at a gunshow because it looked "neat". :barf: :youcrazy: :idunno: She never fired it.

I tried to find replacement barrels that were more standard in length, and got nowhere. After seeing my DBL percussion shotgun, she was interested in getting longer barrels so she could take it hunting with me. :thumbsup:

I suspect that she wanted the longer barrels when she realized how quickly you could be out of the range of the short barrels. :rotf:

Back